antidepressants

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all does any one else feel contionus on edge always feeling anxious all day every day .. I have been on my anti depressnt 3 weeks and I'm wondering is it them which is making me feel worse there called citalopram I'm on 30mg any advice would be great thank you

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sometimes I think it takes your body a few weeks to adjust to it.  I went on wellbutrin (although it's not strictly for anxiety) I felt over the top anxious for about 4 weeks.  Shortness of breath and all.  It leveled out and I was fine.  So after a couple more weeks, if it hasn't gotten better, maybe get switched to another kind. 
  • Posted

Hello, most anti depressants make you feel worse before they make you feel better.  It can take up to 8 weeks for the medication to settle into your body.  It is very difficult to accept this, I find.  Do you think you can give the Citalopram more time?  

I came off anti depressants, and now anxious again, but scared to go back on after a year without.  I am getting anxious again.  I was on Effexor and it did stop anxiety and depression.  We have to make a difficult choice, to take medication or not.  I hope you feel better soon.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks you all for ur replys I'm just wondering if it will ever get better with these tabs xx
    • Posted

You will! Just keep telling yourself and eventually your mind will catch up... Its a gradual process though
    • Posted

Hi Natalie.  I do hope things do get better.  Please keep us informed.  I don't know whether it is better to be on medication or not.  I don't know whether to try and cope without because I was years on anti depressants.  I want to know if you do feel better on the medication as it will help my decision
    • Posted

Natalie I really want to know if you will feel better on the tablets.  It will help with my decision whether to consider going back on anti depressants yet again.  Been managing for a year without.  Do you think they help?  Wish I knew the answer
  • Posted

I'm a big believer in giving the medication time to have an effect, the initial therapeutic effects are not instantly noticeable and it takes a few weeks to settle in the system then a similar amount of time before you start to notice the improvements, small at first but then the benefits start to have a snowball effect and you really notice the difference especially when you look back. 

I'll take anything I'm prescribed to be honest and have no qualms at all if it makes me feel better and keeps me well.

my long term goal however us to be med free from anxiety which involves more CBT, mindfulness training etc but for now if I've to chug a handful of tabs I've no problem. 

Equalky totally respect the opposite view. 

• Posted

Agree totally, different things work for different people... There is no right or wrong way, just whatever works for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.