Antidepressants

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new to this and have never posted anything on a forum before.

I have resently started online therapy and my councelor wants me to go to the doctor and get antidepressants as she thinks I'm suffering from depression. I have never been able to talk about my feelings and stuff (hence speaking to a Councillor via messages instead of face to face) and the thought of talking to a doctor panics me. I also don't like the idea of being on medication. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I believe you should take the advice of your counselor. If the thought of talking to a doctor panics you, how do you get medical help when your ill? Do you mean psychiatrist? Why did you seek counseling? What kinds of symptoms did you have. You have to take that step to see a psychiatrist especially if you have major depressive disorder because if left untreated can lead to other problems. You can do it!
  • Posted

I felt the same way when it was suggested that I go and see a psychologist for my depression. I am so glad I did the psychologist sent me to a psychiatrist and knock on wood the best decision I have ever made. Do not be afraid see a psychiatrist ASAP and tel him/her everything Is a piece of cake,, believe me you will be alright. Just have faith and go for it.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your help. I guess part of the problem is that I have never talked about my feelings and don't really know how to. I keep hoping that I will feel better without having to ask for help but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen sad

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi I think you should see a doctor as what have you got to lose?  Can you take a friend with you who can talk for you?  Or how about writing down how you feel and just hand it to the doctor.  You would not be the first person to do that by any means as it can be very scary to see a doctor for the first time about your mental health.

Unfortunately the first doctor I picked was useless and made me feel worse so I asked the receptionists for a nice sympathetic doctor and the one I went to the second time was great.  x

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I can't take a friend with me as I have not told anyone how I have been struggling. I have been trying to act like everything is fine. It exhausting. Writing it down maybe a bit easier. I keep hoping that I will feel better without having to go to the doctor. I might wait a few weeks and if I feel worse I might try going to the doctor.

Thanks again for your help

• Posted

Hi,

I agree with the other contributors. Let me just add my two cents.

First, you didn't tell us how you are feeling. What are the reasons that made you begin therapy? What are your symptoms? You may or may not have depression. The only person who can give you a diagnosis is a doctor (as you state, your counsellor may have an opinion, but not a diagnosis). It would be better to see a specialized doctor (i.e. a psychiatrist), but you may start by talking to your GP, who will then refer you to a psychiatrist if need be.

Second, if you feel ill, you go to the doctor: that's how easy it is. It doesn't matter whether your symptoms are in your stomach, in your eyes, or in your brain. A doctor's duty is to help you get better independently of what illness you have, so you should not be ashamed to go and visit a doctor about your symptoms, the same way you wouldn't be ashamed to go to the doctor for a stomach flu or an aching back. 

Third, when you see a doctor for any kind of sickness, they will typically give you medications. And you will typically take what you're prescribed. Some meds work right away, some take a little longer. IF (big if) you are diagnosed with depression, you will most likely be prescribed medications that take a while to work and you will have to take them for quite some time. This does not make them more toxic or more dangerous than any other medication you have taken in your life. Nobody "likes the idea of being on medication", but I guess all of us would rather take medications than be sick.

Fourth, I understand that talking about feelings and thought and other personal stuff may not be the easiest thing for some. When you go to a doctor, you should not think of yourself as telling them about feelings, but about symptoms. You are not going to the doctor to tell them that your heart is broken or that you are unhappy with your family situation (or stuff like that). You are going to the doctor with a list of symptoms that you believe constitute a health problem (whatever symptoms you have). Yes, the doctor (a psychiatrist in particular) may ask you personal questions to "contextualize" your problem, but you will find that the kind of conversation is quite different (less personal, more clinical) that those you have with your counsellor.

Finally, while I understand your difficulty in sharing personal feelings with people, I think that talking to friends or family (depending on your situation) is of great help in a situation of psychological distress of any kind. I am sure you have someone who is ready to listen to you and I think you may be greatly surprised by the ability of our loved ones to listen and try to understand / relate to your situation, even if you think that your current feelings are "not normal" or bizarre.

Keep us updated.

• Posted

Hi Midnight (I love that time of day) - keep a journal. Present it to the doc. Don't quit trying to get that help. It's a process and will take as long as it takes. We are always here to talk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.