Antidepressants not working?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good afternoon guys,

I have previously made posts about my depression,but I have being depressed for about two year now.

At the beginning I was put on antidepressants which worked like instantly! I made the mistake of not continuing them! A year later I have now started taking antidepressants again.the ones I first used those years again are not working on me anymore?! So I changed and the ones I am on now are again still not working! I am going back to my doctors as she said they maybe another type of tablets I can try! 

But I am getting super restless now with this!

Any advice ?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Similar to myself. My long term ssri seroxat stopped working, tried another ssri citalopram, that was a nightmare, anxiety through roof. So have recently change to a snri venlafaxine. Early days yet, so don't know if it's working. Normally, if a couple of ssris don't work, then they try a snri. Venlafaxine has lots of horror stories, but so far, although early days, anxiety is lower on them, though depression is still same. Only been on current higher dose for a week though, after a low dosage start. Switching makes depression worse generally, but there isn't much option if the one you are on isn't working. Venlafaxine was recommended by my pysc. Other one suggested was mertazepene, but makes you drowsy and put on weight. Am hoping new one will do the trick.

• Posted

It really is a BIG mistake to rush to come off antidepressenants suddenly, especially if they have worked well for you, but of course it's easy to think " oh well I'm ok now I will stop!"

Hopefully you can find a drug that will help you again (It can take several weeks to begin working, especially if you start on a low dose). You may also Feel a little worse to begin with, so please be aware of that and share with friends and family you are on new medication so they can keep a close eye on you.

It may be that you benefit faster if you can do some therapy like CBT or Mindfulness at the same, or even just so.e exercise if you feel up to it.

Good luck- I am sure you will find a regime that helps. You know you felt better before so you can again!

All the best

Sunny Dee

• Posted

* Hello , I have Major depression MDD ,I also have this problem , Paroxetine 30 Mg (SSRI) worked for me just '' for ~ 3/4 months " , the dose was then increased '' to 40 Mg '' without improvement , and after this I used other antidepressants  : Fluoxetine (SSRI) , Venlafaxine (SNRI) , Clomipramine (TCA) , Escitalopram (SSRI) , Sertaline (SSRI)  and all this without result , just  the bad side effects !

* I think it was possible to get rid of Depression by changing lifestyle and positive thinking ... but it's different with Major Depression  , at the present the solutions that I think they give result :

-Treatment by neuroplasticity ( This is what I prefer because it does not depend on drugs )

- Drug therapy ( I do not know if there is an exam that needs to be done to help find the right antidepressants for every person '' for example : test blood or somthing like that !   )

- Shock therapy

__ In addition to what they call  Cognitive behavioral therapy __

The Psychotherapy is one of the most difficult areas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.