Anxieties

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm a 53yr old lady who's suffered with anxiety since I was in my mid 20s. I'm agrophobic , have panic attacks and intrusive thoughts . I'm also terrified of taking medication, , because I'm scared of having side effects....

I'm at my wits end, I really do want to get better. I know that taking medications will help towards my recovery.

Which is the lowest and best medication I could take with the least side effects ? All answers will be much appreciated thank you .

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi in my thirties, been ill since I was 14. 2 Suicide attempts, a breakdown & agoraphobia...got through the breakdown & agrophobia on my own. So proud of myself for that. Been on & off meds for 15years, tried Seroxat (no go for me), Fluoxetine (gave me insomnia), Citalopram (was helpful), Sertraline (was helpful the 2nd time around) & now trying Mirtazipine. Sometimes you just have to push yourself to deal with these issues, it's how I've learned to deal with them. I've never been married, had 2 long term emotionally abusive partners. Now hate men, riddled with issues still but hanging on. On my own with 2 sons under 11.

Don't be too heard on yourself & goodluck with the meds. Try some CBT therapy too or CAT, maybe psychodinamic counseilling may help. 

• Posted

Hi everyone, I finally had a good chat to my Doctor last night and told her about the anxiety I have about taking medication..I told her I am scared to take them incase I get real bad side effects.. Anyway she's prescribed me sertraline 50mg, to take 1 every morning. Or I can cut the tablet in half . She reassured me that they won't make me feel like a zombie or anything like that. But I might have a dry mouth, upset tummy and headaches untill they my body gets used to them. My problem now is ive only gone and read some horror stories about the side effects , now I'm back to square one been terrified of taking them .. Has anyone got any good success story's ? Thanks
  • Posted

I've taken Sertraline & found it OK. It aggrivated my IBS though as all these drugs do. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.