Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there I was searching for a forum or chat group as I would like some help and to see if anyone else is in the same situation as my self. 

When I had my son 2 years ago once he was born 2 months after I started getting really ill so I went to the doctors and he diagnosed me with post natal anxiety after a few visits and medication I was on for 9 months I was getting back to myself. After the 9 months I came off the tablets weaned myself of them like the doctor told me and I was ok. It's just recently in the last few months I have been getting worse again with anxiety panic attacks always worrying about myself getting really poorly and crying dry mouth stomach sinking and feeling sick I am trying to snap myself out of it as I don't want to go back to the doctors to be put back on medication as I don't want to do that! Would u recommended me trying to see a counciler 1st and talking to them?? I would be very grateful for any advice. Thank you. 

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, 

Yes, I think therapy would be effective for you as it treats the root cause of your anxiety, and aims to change the way you think. If you go to your GP, you will be able to get therapy on the nhs. Exposure therapy, CBT, CAT etc are aimed at anxiety issues and are generally very effective. 

If you google 'Postive Steps' (it's a mental health service in the UK) you may be able to book group or one-to-one sessions for anxiety without the input of a GP, the waiting list is generally a lot shorter too. Positive Steps is actually the organisation that provides therapy at my GP surgery. 

I hope you start to feel better soon smile 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank tou so much for getting back to me so quick I will certainly look into that. It's strange because I have good days and bad days today being a bad day just breaking down. It's so hard as well when u have a son I worry about every little thing. X
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's the same with me. Some days I feel great and others, really anxious- nothing seems to trigger it! You'll be able to find breathing exercises on there too, which may help to calm your anxiety before you have a panic attack, or calm your panic attack. I understand, it must be frightening. Do you have family/friends close by who can offer support on your very anxious days? 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's scaries me so much. I have a very supportive fiancé and family yes there amazing. I never used to be like this then once I had my son I just all changed. I will look in to seeing some one locally to help me. It's like tomorrow I have to go to the dentist and that is making me panic as I am starting to think what if they find this and what if I need more fillings I know it's only a filling but I always think the worse of the situation if u get me?? 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's great that you've got so much support at home! smile Yes, I know what you mean exactly. I always imagine the worst, and it's never ever anywhere near as bad as that in reality- you've just got to try and remember that, but it's so hard with anxiety! 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, yes I would personally always suggest therapy over medication. Not enough people I don't think realise the place of medication, too many doctors prescribe it without proper understanding.  Therapy is every bit or more effective as medication, with the benefit of no side effects. Asking your gp for a referal to psychotherapy sounds like an excellent idea.

Your symptoms do sound like anxiety with health anxiety, I can relate to the worrying about your health, dry mouth etc - very common symptoms but very distressing I know

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice I will certainly do that. I am so pleased I have managed to find a forum were I can talk to other people who know excatly what I am going through even tho you have the support of your family they don't know excatly how hard it is! I get the dry mouth so bad and shaking and knot turning of the stomach I always have to have a bottle of water with me everytime just incase I get a set back with a anxiety attack! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The dry mouth is one of the worst things. I get it SK bad I feel likei can't swallow. Then I just end up fixatedon my mouth, is it too dry, is it too wet etc etc, just goes round in circles!  
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up