Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi this is my first post I am currently dealing with really bad anxiety attacks and finding it really hard to deal with am finding leaving the house really difficult. I have been off work for about 2.5 months but the thought of going back is just too scary but I feel I have no other option. I have some cbt sessions which start on the 3 December and am currently on 40mg citalopram but feel they are not working . When I wake up in morning I feel so strange and end up just crying all day I feel like it's never going to go and just don't know how to get myself through it ....I feel everyone is just getting fed up with me and expect me to just pull myself together but as you all know it isn't that simple .. Any advice would be a great help .. Thanks in advance

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been taking the cit? it can take 6 weeks or so to work. That is quite high start up dose so if you haven't worked slowly up to that then you may be suffering start up effects
    • Posted

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks did 2 weeks on 20 then the doc doubled it as my anxiety was so bad and been on that for about a week now . She was saying if I don't feel any better by Monday she will try something else . I was on sertraline 50g for about 8 weeks before they also didn't help ..
    • Posted

i tried both and neither worked for me, however, they do work for others so don't give up hope. I am currently on venlafaxine and 150mg and 40mg propanolo as and when i need them and witing for CBT, not working great either to be honest. Could be worth asking your GP for a prescription of propanolol to help with the anxiety while waiting for the cit to kick in
    • Posted

I've never heard of propanolo they gave me diazepam but I don't like taking it it makes me sick ...I know my nan was on venlafaxine and it worked well for her and she had very bad mental health the last couple years of her life I think this is where half my problems have come from caring for her for so long and now she passed away 6 weeks ago I've just lost complete control I will ask about the propranolol thank you 
    • Posted

it's a beta blocker, a lot more easy to adjust to than diazepam which can be stronger but more addictive
    • Posted

Oh last time I had beta blockers they made me feel dreadful and had to stop taking them ... Just feel it's all getting too much right now and my anxieties about going back to work are so high I just don't know what to do ..
  • Posted

I didn't get along with those tablets, anxiety is the worst thing I have had to deal with, but it does get easier, breathing exercises help, I see a psychologist once a week, which has helped loads. A big part of it is finding a way to get through each anxiety attack, it's starts to get easier as you recognise the signs of one. Definitely try and see a psychologist 
    • Posted

I just feel like it's never gona end I have councling appointment for some cbt so I guess just gotta wait and see what they say ...  Nice to hear from people that have been through it and are at the other end .. 
  • Posted

I would say firstly this isn't going to be a quick fix. Different tablets suit different people. It took me a year to find mine! Then I feel different therpies suit different people. I was too anxious to get any Benifit from gad, and psychology didn't suit me. Now I see spiritual Hypnotherpist . 

What I mean is you will get through this but you have to allow time for you to get better.i would advise you (if you can) to take a long period off sick from work, you don't need the constant daily worry of when your sick not runs 😁😁😳  your work will also know we're they stand. 

You may feel people are having these negative thoughts but these people are your friends and family who no dout love you and are just very worried about you! Try speaking to someone and ask them? 

These people may not know how you feel and can play a big part in supporting you.have people around you who are a positive i pact on how you feel.

then I advice you set realistic goals . Start small (mine was to put my makeup on every day) then work up 😊

really hope I helped you and I hope you recover soon

xx

• Posted

Thank u yes u have helped .. Just feel so alone right now altho I'm surrounded by people but because they are all living there normal life's I find it really difficult to be around them. I wake up every morning feeling like rubbish and completely spaced out I can barely get myself out of bed my stomach is constantly churning and I just cry all the time .. Just feel like I can't handle much more of I feel like I'm loosing my mind and I know sitting and dwelling sing helping but I can't seem to do anything just no motivation it's horrible ..
    • Posted

Thank u yes u have helped .. Just feel so alone right now altho I'm surrounded by people but because they are all living there normal life's I find it really difficult to be around them. I wake up every morning feeling like rubbish and completely spaced out I can barely get myself out of bed my stomach is constantly churning and I just cry all the time .. Just feel like I can't handle much more of It feel like I'm loosing my mind and I know sitting and dwelling isn't  helping but I can't seem to do anything just no motivation it's horrible ..
  • Posted

Hi domdomz, I empathis totally my friend.

You need something specific for your anxiety besides CIT, propranalol is ok for symptoms such as racing thumping heart etc, if diazepam makes you sick there are other anti anxiolytics all of which have the addiction label attached to them but if taken correctly and not abused then they really help. 

Buspirone is a non addictive one but like anti depressants takes time to work but worth taking in conjunction with an instant effect one.

Venkefaxine is a great AD with little side effects for me it's an SNRI so used for both deoression and anxiety.

Regarding work, why do you need to go back to work just yet? You should only go back to work when you feel well again (which you will).

My advise about folk being fed up with you is that they are probably not, they just don't fully understand what your going through. Perhaps tell them you are doing what you can to get well again but it takes time to heal and if they wanted to do anything to help you then them just supporting you in any way they feel they can would be a huge lift for You.

Crying is a release of emotion so if you feel like crying then let it out and embrace it, it's a healthy response to what your going through, I cry lots also.

Please set yourself one small challenge for yourself everyday such as walking to the shop for a bar of chocolate or paper, having a shower, getting up 5 minutes earlier each week, anything you want BUT don't expect anything of yourself from it eg don't expect to feel better just do it and see how you feel if it's to have a cry have a cry, but reward yourself somehow, mine is to get the duvet, pillow and allow myself duvet time on the sofa.

All other advise you've been given is equally valid especially about time for meds to work, I think you will start to feel a tad better soon.

Neil 

• Posted

Thank u Neil I find leaving the house impossible at mo every time I have tried I have a massive panic attack only time I can kind of do it is if my partner is with me but he isn't always here as he has to work . I think I will have to talk to the doc about having something else to help me as its getting out of hand now . I just feel coz I am staying with my mum at mo I have to force myself back to work so me and my partner can get our own place and also I feel the longer I leave going back the harder its gona be . 

And my boss isn't exactly the sympathetic she don't understand at all .

thank u for your response 

• Posted

is this something you have suffered all your life or is it a recent thing
    • Posted

It happened to me about 5 years ago and I lost my job and took me nearly a year to get better and get a new job which I was ok with until a couple months ago  that's why I'm so worried this time coz if I can't go back I'll have to start again and I really don't want to. It all started as I have just been diagnosed with diabetes and polycystic ovaries plus my nan died after a very stressful last couple of years ..
    • Posted

It happened to me about 5 years ago and I lost my job and took me nearly a year to get better and get a new job which I was ok with until a couple months ago  that's why I'm so worried this time coz if I can't go back I'll have to start again and I really don't want to. It all started as I have just been diagnosed with diabetes and polycystic ovaries plus my nan died after a very stressful last couple of years ..
    • Posted

• Posted

hopefully it's just a build up of different things. It sounds like your doctor is quite good though and willing to change meds instead of hanging on and on before doing so
    • Posted

Yea she is brill but I guess there only so much they can do just gotta ride it out thank u 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.