Anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been told for a while that I suffer with anxiety. On occasion I have had diazepam and have helped. However 6 wks ago I had to have an operative laparoscopy. I dnt know whether it's been through the operation but I have had worse symptoms sad I get quite lightheaded, feel bit confused at times, not quite with it.  Chest pain but mainly in eve or at night. Aches n pains in arms and legs, even wheezing! And pins n needles in arms/legs. I was wondering if someone can confirm whether these are normal symptoms and if so can someone please advise me on the best way to deal with it. I have a happy home life, job not great but people nice enough. It seems to come on for no reason and it's really getting me down sad the doctor gave me some escitalopram to take for a month which haven't started yet as wanted to try & deal with this without medication. I am scared to take them in case have side effects or I can't come off them. Can someone please give me some advice. Many thanks. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have all of the symptoms you have described above. They're very scary at times and also uncomfortable. Do not panic. I know that people with anxiety tend to breathe strangely when they're anxious and due to this they experience symptoms like pins and needles, chest pain etc. Due to an imbalance of oxygen and carbon dioxide. This is what I recently found out and it does make sense. If you focus on your breathing and breathe in, hold it and breathe out a lot of these symptoms subside. 

I would advise you to seek some kind of help though from mental health services. I haven't I am am in such a bad way. Not to dishearten you , if you feel you can deal with this on your own then excellent smile 

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thanks justine. Is the lightheadedness part of it too? I have thgt about speaking to someone but need something that will help quite quickly. I am worried the meds may make things worse? sad 
    • Posted

Yes it is, I experience it every day and my GP, nurses and Dr's all tell me that it is anxiety.

I don't know of any quick fixes, I guess the quickest way to deal with it would be to take medication but it is all about trial and error. You might find your perfect medication, you might be given the worst. Whatever route you choose to go down won't be easy. But it'll be worth it. smile I personally don't take any medication, I know that I should but I have a phobia. I find talking helpful and reassuring but I mean who's gonna listen 24/7? 

Others have gotten over this so there's nrohing to say we can't x

• Posted

Thanks justine. I just want to feel normal sad I don't even know what starts it off.  I am going back to work Monday after 6 weeks. I'm really hoping that a bit of normality and distraction will help. As I said I dnt know whether having surgery helped the anxiety? rolleyes I feel like a dull ache at the back of my eyes too and was scared it was something sinister 😳 then when I get the chest pain and in arms and legs it starts me thinking bad things and makes it worse. I just can't seem to see pass this. I think I may even start reading and do tr breathing as u suggested smile why technique is best... Breathing and pushing stomach out or breathing through ur nose? rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.