Anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm learning to live with the fact that I have anxiety.  This does not mean that I don't do anything about it, but by accepting that I am prompt to some anxiety episodes and most of the time I feel midly anxious it helps me to cope with it. To rebel or fight agaisnt your reality makes anxiety even worse, it makes you more anxious.  

Some of the things I do are breathing exercise, you can find many on line,  walks,  count till ten before I explote,  meditation, reading self-help books, without becaming hook to them, talking with friends, family.

Anxiety mess up your digestion system since the nervous does not allow it to digest properly.  I take some relaxing teas, linden, lemon balm, valerian.  For digestion, I try to eat slowly, take sleppery elm and chamomile.  This things are not magic or have a quick fix, but they keep me going without having to take medicine that I try to avoid.

If you know of any more natural methods to fight this very unconfortable disease of anxiety, pass it on please.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I agree meds aren't always the best approach, I dobt touch them. Anxiety though if entrenched will not simply go away over time, usually quite the opposite. Therapy is a good option if meds aren't, but finding ways to deal with the symptoms will work in the short term, in the long term I'm afraid they wont
    • Posted

Surely if you,re dealing well with symptoms the anxiety will decrease stopping the fight or flight reaction which is at the root of it all and so stop anxiety! What do you think should be done in the long term? 
  • Posted

Love this reply it should be on Google next to symptoms

there is no magic cure you can either control it or it controls you

there's nearly always a starting reason or insecurity that seemed easier to cover with I'm not feeling well but to make it plausible then possible illnesses are researched , when they are found negative then something else and eventually what's real or made up blues and our minds use fight and flight to continuously find worries

Well done

• Posted

I'm in the same boat trying to avoid starting meds...every days a struggle but I get up get dressed and get about I exercise regularly and always have but this is only a fix for the period of doing it as it hits me when I stop 😭 I had a great day yesterday and was relaxing last night and it erupted..pounding heart and other symptoms I was so disappointed...I could understand if it's brought on by a 'situation' I can choose to remove the situation and deal with the symptoms but I wasn't even anxious last night I was extremely relaxed!! That's what I find hard to deal with as I'm told to relax and it will pass but when I'm relaxed and it starts it confused me 😔 I struggle to deal with the lump in my throat sensation the most it's the one that drives me nuts 😳
    • Posted

Very like me, the lump in the throat is my constant problem, so hard to relax when you feel you might choke isn't it
    • Posted

Extremely!!!! Have you any tips on how to stop/relieve it....I've been told it's to do with posture etc and a warm shower on the back of the neck can help so I'm trying these
    • Posted

Well for me just remembering how long I've had it and its never actually caused any problem helps sometimes. Distraction. To get really involved with something to keep ure mind busy does help, but only short term. Its really all about dealing with the reason for the actual anxiety and not just the symptoms of it . I doubt it can be posture related to be honest, heat can relax the area though so that makes sense
    • Posted

Yes distraction is a definite key...I have been like this now for 6 weeks almost constant I've a very good gp and she's not pushed meds on me..I'm doing the therapy things ATM and they do help really as I would prefer to do it without meds I've a gp appt this week so will talk to her again and see what she can suggest next if anything 😳 there's days tho when I feel meds mite be the easier option it's a tough existence
    • Posted

omg! you decribe what happens to me, too. some days are ok, you manage to feel normal, laugh, feel fine, forget that many deals you feel awful. then you realise and cautiously think about how nice that feeling of not being anxious is, when: bam! heart races and flutters and you can't breathe. awful! i can't understand that either. it makes me feel so weary all the time. i know at any minute, feeling well could turn to panic for no obvious trigger. sigh. 
    • Posted

Lol we are all in the same boat (hopefully it doesn't sink 😑) it's an ugly world but I found the more I understand it the more I can deal with it....I would still like to send it back tho 😋

• Posted

I have just started taking a capsule of l-theanine (natural amino acid in green tea) and lemon balm twice a day (from  health food shops). It isn't a miracle cure but it takes the edge off my anxiety and seems to help with my insomnia.  I want to avoid meds at the moment as i would like to be able to feel some of my fear to help feel the difference when i attend cbt and hopefully it helps.  Ive been in some very dark places but this has helped me see a little light.  xx
    • Posted

I was in a health food shop yesterday I have started to take krill oil and A vitamin b supplement but I think the lady mentioned l-theanine to me - she wasn't 100% sure of it's benefits (she was helping in shop just) so I said I will call when the other lady was back 
  • Posted

St Johns Worts is one that is recognised, also accupuncture can be good to as well as yoga
  • Posted

I have found a number of ways that have helped. The first was it to establish a daily routine that suited my needs and gave me a sense of, firstly survival and seconly of achieving small things; this routine was gradually expanded to set larger, longer term goals with reasonable timescales so my self expectation increased. The second to learn that all my anxieties arose from things I could not control; thus I developed strategies to learn to ignore them or at least live with them. Medication helped in the first couple of years but became increasingly less necessary until I can almost cope without them. This has not been quick easy or without set-backs but I am almost stress free. I hope this may be of some small assistance. Bendog   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.