Anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been having anxiety for 3 weeks now. I am on citalopram 20mg. I feel like I will never get better and be able to return to work. I just feel very needy and I'm normally the one helping others.

Does it ever get better?

Thanks for listening

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes it does get better!

I'm about 5 months in and on 40mg. In another 3 months (all being well or stable) my Doctor will consisder reducing me gradually. 

However, it takes as long as it takes as we are all individual. The type of side effects can vary, the level and intensity can also vary. Not every one goes up to 40mg either so go with the (yukky) flow and see how you get on. Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it, even though I didn't think I was anxious, just suffering from work related stress however, I realise now that there are a lot of related stuff this "sticking plaster for the brain" has to sort before it can help me get better.

The other thing is accept that you may (only may) get a bit anxious over being anxious! Stuff may race through yer head and weird thoughts appear, don't worry, come here and post. Here is were you'll get the support you need.

There are other regulars that will come along and support you - there just most probably still in bed!!!

Personally, I am removing that which made me ill in the first place and semi retiring. Work is secondary to your recovery, or you'll never truly recover!

Chin up (even if you feel down).

Regards and Best wishes,

David

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. I'm trying to think about here and now and not tomorrow or next week. I'm also trying to accept I have and all the symptoms but sometimes is so hard.

I also get the physical bits like pains in shoulders feeling of dread palpations etc. I'm a psychatric nurse and have done loads of stuff with my patients but I am unable to turn it round on myself

Thanks again for listening

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I understand how you feel. Going thorugh it right now. But the lower I feel the bigger the need to get better.

You will get better. Let the meds work their magic. It takes time.

Now you need to be looked after. Allow that x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

At least your doing something about it, taking citalopram.  It is better than doing nothing and remaining in a bad state.  Give yourself the time it will take to feel better.  I wish these meds would do their thing right away instead of taking time but that's the way they work.  Keep working with your dr.  It should get better.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am going through the same. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years but have only just sought help for it, so it is great you are getting it sorted so quickly.

Citalopram takes 3-4 weeks before you feel the full effect, so just keep going with it and you will definitely notice a difference, if not, talk to your GP about getting a higher dose - but only if you feel you really need it.

Also, make sure you keep to your appointments, as I did run out of my meds at one point, and going cold turkey on them is not a great idea! 

Good luck with everything, and keep your head high! There is always a silver lining smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm really struggling too, Iv been on 20mg for 5 weeks and 30mg for 8 days ! I'm practically a recluse. Have been off work for 7 weeks now and am having to return next week, I really don't know how I'm going to manage this anxiety and restless agitation is killing me

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi. I was started in beta blocker today and almost instantly I felt calmer. It works on blood vessels and opens them wider as when you have anxiety it causes everything to become tense and smaller. Not sure if it will be same tomorrow, I'm trying to believe it will. Speak to your doctor about how your feeling.

I understand about work I've been of 3 weeks and can't imagine going back but know I need to soon. Speak to your GP and get advise.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi ,

Is that propanolol ? I take 40 mg every morning but does nothing to stop the morning anxiety unfortunately.

I'm at GPs tomorrow to see if she will give me a maybe fit for work note incase I can't manage. I am reducing my hours for the next few weeks till these horrendous side effects settle. I can cope with the panic feelings but it's the agitation I can't stand it, don't know what to do with myself and can't settle.

I have been on citalopram before ( 4 th time in 11 years) and I know it works I'm just scared in case this time it doesn't !

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Have you tried acupuncture? I tried it last week and it helped but unfortunately it doesn't last.

Could you not increase the propranolol? Some people take higher doses?

Hope GP helps tomorrow.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I could take 3 x 40 mg a day but the way I am at the mo I'm terrified of taking any more keep thinking il slow my heart rate too much or drop my bp too much and faint ( I even bought a bp monitor ! )

I'm going to ask doctor tomorrow about acupuncture I don't know if they do it on the nhs and I'm also waiting for a start date for talking therapies.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up