ANXIETY

Posted , 4 users are following.

My son has recently been bullied at school in Feb 15 and refused to go to school. He had been bullied by another pupil who he did not know and it happened when the crossed over blocks (the school has two buildings where students have to cross over the road to get to there). The bullying was sorted out but he lost all his confidence and was very withdrawn. We have worked with the school and gradually introduced him back to lessons by starting to go to the learning support unit for a couple of hours a day and has just started year 10 and has now been attending all classes every day. He seems ok now but my anxiety over this is really bad and i feel very anxious every morning as i think he might refuse to go again.

He came home early yesterday with a bad headache and I was convinced that there was another problem, but he re assured me that there was not and went into school ok today.

How can I stop my anxiety every morning as I am already on Fluoxetine and Amitriptyline for anxiety and depression and I tend to think about things that might not even happen. I know i should take each day as it comes but i think too far ahead about any problems that might arise.

I do feel that I have not been a very nice person in the past and i am being punished for it. I dont want my son to be punished for something that i might have done and i cannot think of anything that is that bad that i have to be punished for it.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I often think about things too far ahead.  I don't live in the moment.  I wish I could, but I always think about the worse case scenario.
  • Posted

You are scared and understanbly so. First off you have an anxiety disorder which is stressful.then the situation with your son occurs, again very stressful.  Im sure its okay now for him but i think its a lot on you worrying about your own stress level and then worrying if your son is happy and safe. When im having anxiety i can barely handle anything else and will tend to end up panicking. Its hapoens with all us. Every drama, every illness and when my kids are uoset abiut something i am too,i want to know they are okay and independent and will be successful in their life and anything that can alter that makes me anxious. One of my kids does get a xiety and it breaks my heart.i tried to help her with guidance and auido but i dont think she absorbed much of it, she has gained a bit of weight this past year and has pcos in some degree and all i do is worry. So yes i understand how you feel. 15 year old boy needs a little self defense classes to instill some self confidence and balance and willmwatch your reaction when he tells you about hus day. If you play it off so will he to a point. Hoprfully the school has a zero tolerance and they will make sure he is okay.and you need to make sure your okay as well. If he should refuse to go to school again and you do nit want to himeschool or mive him to anither school, or move he will have to learn to self calm and defend himself.its a life lesson for him and he is young so he will figure iut a way to handle,Teena tend to nasty, not all but a lot. You are not being punished by recieving panic attacks.you are punishing yourself by over thinking, negative self talk, anxiety self made rules...etc.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I do tend to overthink and punish myself and think that it is all my fault in some way. He didnt want to go to another school and had a lot of support from the school and is now back with his group of friends. It helped that he had chosen his options and is doing most of the lessons that he wanted to do. I try not to let him see that I am anxious and worrying about him but praise him for doing so well!

It doesnt help that I was bullied a lot at school and never told anyone until this happened to my son. He knows now that he can come to me and tell me anything and i think it has made us closer.

Lets hope that we can learn to take each day as it happens and not let the anxiety ruin our lives!

• Posted

Hello, 

I understand your case , You need to communicate more often and always open your mind .  Try to relax and not to think over and over again , playing sports is a good hobby . Anxiety is a natural reaction to those very real stresses and you must fight stress and mange it .  I am listening to music and taking deep breaths to manage my stress. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.