Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. I just really needed to express how much anxiety has effected me this year. First we're going to take it back to when I was young and when I think my health anxiety had first begun. When I was about 12 years old our health class learned about the aids virus. I will never forget after my class I was terrified and I would constantly worry about getting aids even though there was no way I could get the virus. Of course after learning more about the virus I quickly got over that fear. As the years went by and I got older I can remember almost forgetting my health anxiety. From the ages of 15-16 I wouldn't even worry about such nonsense until this year. I am an 18 year old now and I can personally say that my health anxiety has made my senior year in high school miserable. My fears ranged from getting a brain tumor to having colon cancer. I was so caught up on these fears that I would look up symptoms constantly all over the internet. I got so bad at one point that I got a ct scan of my brain that I didn't need whatsoever. (This now scares me cause now I'm worried that the ct scan gave me radiation exposure that will one day give me cancer) Yes I know I sound crazy and yes I know these fears are bizarre especially because my family has no history of cancer in our family. I am an athletic young man who eats healthy and I have a strong social life but as these fears have gotten stronger I find it harder and harder for myself to have a good time when I'm hanging out with friends. When my anxiety is really bad it's literally all I'm thinking about and it makes me depressed. My anxiety has even given me digestive issues which of course led me to believer I had colon cancer. That fear really made me miserable. I've had my good days but let me tell you this anxiety has really messed with me this year. My doctor had perseeoved me anxiety medication but I refused to take it because I remember when I was young I got over my health anxiety and I think I can do the same now but the health anxiety I have now is a lot harder to get over. I have had OCD tendencies for as long as I can remember my anxiety and OCD have gone hand and hand. Mind you I've never been diagnosed with these disorders but I can tell you for a fact that I suffer with OCD and anxiety. I have done countless rituals over the years but as of late I have refused to do my rituals as hard as it was for me to give them up. I constantly feel I am a bad/crazy persons for how I think but I just really want to vent to anyone who wants to listen and is willing to give me some friendly advice. I'm good at hiding this from my friends but this last year I have admitted to some of my closet friends and family about my anxiety. I'm sorry for how long this was but I just really needed to get that off my chest. Please leave some helpful advice if you have any. Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My only advice is talk to people anxiety is so common and its nothing to be ashamed of. I have no problem telling anyone I have it.
  • Posted

Its great that when you were younger you managed to find your way through the anxiety, but maybe now you need outside help to get through please at least consider trying the anti anxiety medication you have been prescribed, it also might be worth having your doctor refer you to a therapist like a psychiatrist or psychologist, there is no shame in admitting you need help and the first step is admitting you have a problem you have already taken that step I commend you for being brave enough to do that. Now you just need to move to the next step and that is to ask for the help you need you have already taken steps towards that just by posting on this forum, keep going with that and seek out a professional to help you on your journey to beat your anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.