Anxiety about death

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello people, 

I'm sorry to start this off with such a morbid subject, but I have been struggling with this for a good part of 15 years and i'm only 21! 

My earliest memory of this when I was younger (preteen about 6 years old) I would cry at night because I was scared I may not wake up in the morning and I have carried this with me all the way into adulthood. Death is on my mind from the moment I wake up in the morning to the moment I go to sleep its my first and last thought every day, and I don't feel normal for it at all but what would I even say if I was to talk to my GP? Would they laugh and tell me to stop being so pathetic? I have spoken with my mum and my partner about my worries and they are well aware of my fears but I have no control over this one they tell me its just one of them things that happens to everyone, there are many aspects of death I fear.. being alone when I pass, not saying goodbye or telling people that are important to me just how much they mean to me. I have never had a death in my family so haven't had to greive for someone. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same issue or am I alone on this one as I certainly feel it! If anyone else does feel the same way do you have any adivse?

Thank you! 

Kirsty xx

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh wow. I feel the same. It really has hit me over the past couple years. I wake up around 5am each day and the first thing on my mind is death... about me dying, about my parents dying. Im 33 and my parents are 74, unfortunately that gives me different worries than most people my age. This often leads into shallow breathing from anxiety. This continues thru the day. The only reason I havent chose to seek help is I dont want to be medicated for depression and I know thats exactly what would happen . Im hoping just talking/reading about it from others will help a little so Im very grateful I found this post. 
    • Posted

Hi neha my Name is nasir and I feel from the last 4years and every day that I going to die and I feel dizzy any time whts ur thinking plz tel me and one more thing that I have also ibs .
  • Posted

I feel the same way. Two people told we thing she that helped me. One was that it goes away as you get older and another was that you only fear death when you're not living enough. Maybe try experiancing new things like traveling somewhere even in your country

• Posted

Hello Kristy, I don't have a fear of death anymore but I used to when I was younger, you're defnitely not alone. Life has shown me that älthough things dieing can bring sadness to those left behind, death is in fäct as natural as  life and birth. I think it's basically horror films and the childish (and mänipulätive) concept of hell in religion which häs dîstorted a nätural thing into something to be dreaded. Not saýing we shoúld all go racing off to the grave though. Anyway. you'll be okay.

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

For years I have woken up in the night with a dread of death but been able to tell myself to get over it and got back to sleep. For no reason in recent few weeks I have developed an all consuming fear of my death and the smallness of the world. I am going to see my GP but don't want to be medicated. Did you find out a good way of getting rid of the fear? It is causing me severe anxiety (tight chest, pounding heart, sick feeling in pit of stomach) and I want it to go away so I can get on with living.

• Posted

It's crazy, like I'm a 29 year old female and it's funny how u said your earliest memory was when you were 6. I had the same memory around the same memory age....odd how us humans care so much.....like animals, r they afraid of death....I doubt it...hmmm

• Posted

There is a song called the rose by midler. Here is a great paragraoh from the song and so very true to all of this..

,It's the heart afraid of breaking

That never learns to dance.

It's the dream afraid of waking

That never takes the chance.

It's the one who won't be taken,

Who cannot seem to give,

And the soul afraid of dyin'

That never learns to live.

Think about that. 

• Posted

Hi I was reading your fear about dying. I’ve had this a long time my friend once said if your afraid of dying , your afraid to live . Am older now I’ve lost a few of my family . It’s now I am scared afraid to say to anybody . I was going to speak to my Gp they might think am going crazy .I just feel your on your own . letting you know , your not the only one .   Please get back to me if anyone else has wrote to you or helped . ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.