Anxiety about feeling I don't know enough

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Hoping someone can relate. I always feel I don't know enough and that there is just too much in the field that I've got to know. I head up a digital team in a marketing company but we're a small team. There is huge pressure on me to speak to clients about the latest initiatives but keeping up with it all whilst training a team and having to lead on clients is just overwhelming. I always feel like I'm never on top of it because the pace of change is so rapid. When the anxiety hits I really start to panic about what I do and don't know and I start to believe I'm useless and don't know anything. I wish my confident side could come back. I am naturally a bubbly and confident person but the anxiety has stripped me of me. Am on week six of citalopram and signed off for two weeks. I'm lucky to have a supportive boss and colleagues who all rate me and want me well but I'm worried I just won't be able to get back and cope. The anxiety has been so awful and I haven't been able to cope with its intensity at work where it has been consistently high for the past two months. I know the medication can take time but would really appreciate any similar experiences and advice from you lovely folk!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel you! I’m a CPA and in the Accountjng field. I always feel like I am either stupid, or I can’t remember anything. I know I just lack confidence and anxiety can cause temporary memory loss. I just feel like after all the school and experience I have, I should know so much more than I do! I feel like my boss thinks I am useless. 
    • Posted

Hi Alesha. Yes the memory loss thing is awful as you then really do feel you don't know anything. Are you on medication? That I find has made it worse initially but believe it will get better.

• Posted

I work in a digital platform too and I rarely feel like I fully know what I'm doing. I get good feedback but I feel like I'm waiting to trip up and suddenly I'll be exposed to everyone as not really knowing anything.

It's called Imposter Syndrome. Generally ties in with those suffering ancient. At the end of the day you've just got to trust that your boss and colleagues would feedback if you're not doing enough or not keeping up. If they're not saying anything, you must be doing ok xx

• Posted

*anxiety even. Autocorrect
    • Posted

Thank you Caz. I think what makes it hard is I head up the team now so feel that pressure is on me to say what we should and shouldn't know when I feel just as lost as everyone else about that point! It has driven a colleague of mine to have several breakdowns as well as they never know what they should or shouldn't know and that has left them feeling they should know everything. I'm hoping that these two weeks off will allow the physical symptoms of anxiety to lessen and my brain to calm down. I'm on week 6 of citalopram so hoping this will start to kick in more and help too

• Posted

Hopefully the time off and medication will help. I'm on Citalopram and I must say it does help take some of the edge of for me. But there's nothing wrong with feeling a bit lost and to be honest I'd find it reassuring if my head admitted that it wasn't just me feeling confused. But the key is working together to resolve issues. No one person has all the answers. Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.