Anxiety about having Mono, cant stop crying, HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I live in the USA, so maybe the term might be different in other countries. So yesterday I woke up to a really sore throat, I didn't think much of it until I checked my mouth and found white stuff on my tonsils. I started to freak out. I brushed my teeth again and headed to the Urgent Care Facility. The doctor there was making me feel worse. I know he was just talking about the reality of things, but I wanted to burst out crying.

They tested for Strep and that came back negative, so then he said that most likely it's Infectious Mononucleosis. I had a friend who had this and it knocked her off her feet and out of school for about 3 months. I went to my doctors office about an hour later because I was freaking out. They did another test for Strep and it came back negative. So they took blood work to test for Mono. I should get the results tmr, but I'm freaking out. I've been crying nonstop, I've been having my panic attacks.

I'm afraid of having Mono. My entire family depends on me and I can't afford to be in bed for 3 months (or longer). I have bills i can't afford to miss work. Then I read on the internet about my spleen and liver swelling and that they could rupture with Mono.

Symptoms so far: Sore throat with white stuff on it. Swelling and soreness decreased a little. Ever since I read about the swelling of the liver and spleen I think I've been having pain but idk if that's from my anxiety or if it's real pain. Also I have gas because I've been eatting very little.

Had anyone had mono? How was it? How long did it last? Please tell me everything you could. I want to talk to my doctor, but the receptionist always give me a hard time.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Theres nothing you can do. The urgi centers test for mono. They give you the results. Yes it takes wa while to clear. Some clear it in a weak others a few weaks. Thats unfair if wveryone leans in you maybe thats how you got so run down to begin with. Unkess you are born immuned most get it. Some get it mild so thu dont realize they even had it. You dont even feel if the liver swells they find that in the exam so you dont do any crazy sports or anything with ody cntact for a bit.  I gave my daughter coconut pills during the first month. Virgin cocnutmpills theres something in it that helps heal it faster. Whether it did ir not i dont know. My younger ine passed it a weeks time and was dine. So it does depend in the person. Theres a lot of mono forums that might help you more.

you didnt mention your age. I feel bad formyou on the basis younsaid your family leans on you and now you need them for a bit of time. It will heal. This time next month you would be way better so you know, you stay tired for about a month or so  after not sick but tired. Thats why it takes a while to be all done with it and thats the extreme end of it. Everyone's different.

get some salt and do warm water garggles four times a day. Teaspoon in a cup of warm water. Garggle. That will help a lot.

• Posted

My best friend had mono. Hers was horrendous, yet she still was back at work I believe 2 weeks later. I was shocked, she seemed much worse. But you think the worst and you'll feel worse. Its somethin you just have to get through. Think of it this way, at least they caught it before it got any worse. Take the meds, rest and don't push yourself too much, otherwise you'll make yourself worse.

My friend lived off of pudding, mashed potatoes and chocolate shakes for 2 weeks. Make sure you walk around a bit a day, that seemed to help her not be so exhausted the first day back to work. You can't be productive for your family though if you get sicker. Just relax and take the meds and rest.

• Posted

I think the thing thays scaring me the most is the risk of my spleen and living be coming swollen and having them rupture. I know it's a possible complication, so I'm more scared of that.

• Posted

I think that's more for severe cases.. I personally know of four people who have had it and none of them had any complications, because they all got checked and everything. And none of them was in bed for 3 months. Just don't read anymore on it. Or maybe look up quickest ways to recover from mono (aside from the meds of course) to calm your nerves down a bit.

• Posted

I had mono a long time ago it was a very mild case. I was only I'll for a week.   Try not to worry about something that isn't confirmed yet. There's also the possibility of strep throat which requires antibiotics. Wait until you find out what the diagnosis is and your doctors office will guide you on the care once you find out      Please don't read things on the Internet it only increases anxiety and may not pertain to you at all! You will be fine 

• Posted

I just wanted to thank everyone that replied. Also wanted to give everyone an update.

This morning I called my doctors office for the results. There's 2 type of testing for mono, which requires blood samples. The 1 test (rapid testing, idk the correct name) came back negative. The 2nd test, I will get in Saturday. The results of the first test has really calmed me down, but the nurse I spoke to, also said that it's not always accurate.

Also the swelling of my tonsils have went down a little more today, and the white stuff that was on it has decreased/started to come off. I'm hoping this is all good signs for the long run. Now I'll wait until Saturday for the other test results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.