Anxiety advice? :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im an 18 year old female. I've been suffering from anxiety for 2 years now but over the last month or so it is getting worse! I constantly worry about every little thing. I have been getting loads of suicidal thoughts and thinking about the least painful way of killing myself daily sad. Doctors have started me off on Citalopram & i'm due to start seeing a therapist in a few months but I need help now. Can anyone please help? Coping/calming methods or any other advice please? I can't cope and it's destroying my life. I have varicose veins that cause daily pain and they make me think that i'm going to die, when my heart beats fast I panic and worry and think of death. I've been crying for nothing. I feel ill daily - sick/dizzy/low or no appetite/shakes/ect. Panic attacks are becoming more frequent. I'm so fed up sad. Please help.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi naomi35448

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Naomi, sorry you are suffering so much. I hope your medication starts to help you soon, it can take a little while to kick in so hang on in there. People here understand, as well as getting outside help so keep posting if you need to talk. Utube have some excellent meditations, there are many so give them a try, they helped me, find those you like, I preferred the “guided meditations” as listening to someone talking helped me. The symptoms you have are common with anxiety, it is easy fo me to say but try and tell yourself it’s the anxiety that is making you feel this way. Keep posting here if it helps you to talk, anxiety is an awful thing but you will get through it, we are all here to help each other.
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

Thankyou for the message, I have been trying to keep calm and think more positive and i've been reading other peoples stories about overcoming anxiety and it is giving me hope that I can too overcome it smile. I will check out the videos/meditation that you've mentioned, thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Naomi, so sorry your feeling like this, this was me a couple of months back, it does get better, give it chance for your medication to kick in, I found an app called smiling minds helped me, it’s all about breathing techniques and how to calm yourself down..hope you start feeling better soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Jaime Lee,

Thankyou for the message. That is good to hear that you're getting better it gives me hope smile. I'm trying to be more positive. I will check out the app, thankyou x

• Posted

Honestly you will get there, everyday is a success, just take one day at a time, try not to think about future things, hard I know as I was the same, just think about now, your meds will help you, keep in regular contact with your doctor, Samaritans anything like that, they understand...you can and will overcome this 😊 xx

• Posted

Hi Sorry to hear that you are unwell. Please don't take any anti depressants they will make things much worse, there are procedures to remove varicose veins, it is not a major problem honestly. I would strongly advise u not to take any medication without checking it out thoroughly, I am sending you a link by PM to explain why. Take care you will be alright.

• Posted

Hey naomi. It's hard for sure. I am exactly same as you. I find it hard to cope with it all sometimes I suffer from ptsd and anxiety and that has created a pit of depression too. Your not on ur own. I am on a waiting list to see a therapist too it gets hard from time to time. But just realise some times you have days that feel impossible but the next day or next week might be a good or even a great one. So live for the good days and try to keep smiling. Even tho I know that it can be very hard to do. smile smile

J

• Posted

Hi,

Thankyou for the reply smile.

I have been feeling a lot better today, Thinking positive/being positive is helping. I'm trying to ignore my physical pain too and not panicking about it. Thanks for the advice smile

• Posted

Hi Naomi! I'm sorry you are going through such a rough patch right now.

?One thing to note is that one of the side effects of the antidepressant is that they often will make you feel worse before you feel better. What dose of Citalopram are you on? Have you ever been on an antidepressant before?

?I'm on Citalopram, and while it has made a big positive impact on my life, the start up effects were pretty awful the first two weeks. It made me more depressed, and I had some really negative thoughts. My doctor never mentioned that it's quite common to have these side effects while starting on an antidepressant, so I thought I was getting worse. It wasn't until I started reading online about the side effects that I realized what I was experiencing was "normal" for starting an SSRI.

?When I really got bad, I found it helped a lot to go outside and take a walk. Even sitting outside in the sun would perk me up a bit/calm me down. Talking to people about it also helps, especially if they've been through the same thing.

It will get better:-).

• Posted

Hey,

Thankyou for the message, i'm on 20mg & I have took fluxotiene (however you spell it) before but they just made me hyper.

That's good to know smile Hopefully they help me too. I have been trying to get out of the house more with my partner, he suffers with anxiety too so he's very supportive smile.

Thankyou I really hope it does get better x

• Posted

Hi The a/d will make u hyper then the effect wears off. so just a word of warning about them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.