Anxiety after coming off Citolapram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, anyone help, I have been off Cita for about 3 months (after cutting down slowly), over the last week my anxiety has gone through the roof and slight depression (which I have never had before) , I really do not want to go back on Cita as I fought so hard to come off them, anyone had the same experiences, and has anyone found anything else helpful as an alternative to prescription drugs? Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear everything is back again, you need to see your GP to resolve the problem like u did last time, they is nothing shameful in taking anti depressants its not your fault u have this terrible illness, depression all depends on why u were depressed in the first instance, if the depression came for know reason, it is more difficult to treat u might have to live with it , but under control for the rest of your life, most celebrities suffer from depression , if u do not like Citalprom they are more than 15 types of antidepressants, as for me Citalprom has changed my life.
    • Posted

Hi guys, I have come home from work as I am a mess, cita worked for for 8 years but don't want to go through the staring side effects, and as I am driving for 9 hours next Friday, I don't think the side effects will have passed by then, no work will not be sympathetic, depression is classed as a weakness not an illness, I am the only person who does the payroll so can't have any time off at the moment, so that's is making the situ worst, as things don't seem so bad when I am at home, don't understand why it is happening to me, I have a good job, my own home, fantastic family and a brand new grandson, I just don't understand xxx
    • Posted

Dawn, get yourself some 5-HTP and l-tyrosine - seriously they will help.  Take 2 weeks for effects to start lifting and there's no side effects.  At least try them.  If you don't want to go back on Citalopram, then give these a try - they're a natural SSRI and they boost serotonin.  Google 5-HTP vs SSRI - I've taken them and had great results.

Often there is nothing to trigger anxiety or depression.  It may be your serotonin is low, and this in turn can wreak havoc on your emotional and physical well being.

Depression IS an illness.  In fact it is a physical illness.  No way is it a weakness, and whoever says that then needs to try it for himself and also tell them to look it up.

In the meantime, you were right to come home.  I've done it myself.  This won't go away overnight of course, but start by accepting that this is an illness, you are not weak, take some time for yourself and try and stay calm.  Walking, or any exercise is good.  Talk to people and post on here as so many have been through this.

If you're ill you need time off work if you feel it'll help.  Ok you're the only one who does payroll, but you need to think of yourself.  How do they manage when you're not there?  Tell them.  Your health is more important than a job.

Seriously think about these over the counter meds.  Go and get some, start taking them, be prepared to have a few rocky days, time time out for you and wait for the meds to start helping.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate , I responded to you on another link, this place is very confusing lol,  I am starting what you have suggested tomorrow, next day delivery on Amazon , onwards and upwards, I have told my family this afternoon, they knew something was wrong, so everyone knows now, so onwards and upwards xxx
    • Posted

Yes I saw your other post too.  

Glad you're going try the 5-HTP etc, it is worth trying the alternative if you'd rather not revert back to medication.  Remember to listen to your doctor too though x  I'm not a medical person, but just going on experience and readings.  I hope they'll help as they did me.

Glad you were also able to talk to your family.  It helps so much.  Absolutely, onwards and upwards.

Keep us posted.

K x

• Posted

Hi .... wish I'd found this page earlier as would have tried the natural serotonin when told I need to take cita for life as chronic pain is draining it .. Because I wouldn't accept this I have been off and on over 20yrs but luckily this time 10mg seems to be keeping the worse anxiety to a minimal tho have sweats ad poor sleep (tho that's more with the chronic pain). I suppose if I wanted to try I would need to ask doc first but will try to read the books. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Dino

Its worth keeping it in mind if you do come off your medicine, but of course do talk to your doctor if you do come off them.  Not sure if doctors are ok with the natural medicines - some would be and some probably not.

So is your chronic pain affecting the medicine, or is the medicine giving you chronic pain?

But yes, definitely something to keep in mind.  The book is interesting and am always dipping into it :-)

K x

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

It could be withdrawls symptoms ... but I would think that if citalopram helped with anxiety then perhaps you need to go back on longer? its not that bad being on meds my mom is a diabetic and tells me if I had to take cita for life then that would be a lot easier than her so that kinda puts it in perspective? Talk to your doc hope things improve wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.