anxiety after drinking

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've suffered with anxiety and depression for about 10 years - in everyday life I have learnt to cope with the majority of my symptoms and have accepted this is just a part of me. However after a night drinking I will shoot awake after a few hours sleep with my heart pounding,crying uncontrollably, I feel absolutely worthless and have thoughts of self harm which some times I act upon. These feelings absolutely terrify me. It doesn't happen every time I drink but happens more when I have been drinking with a group of people and I have wondered if I have a form of social anxiety? (I constantly worry what people think of me and that I may have offended somebody) after the panic attack has subsided I will then feel extremely low for days after. I do enjoy drinking but the way I feel afterwards is really not worth it and think I am going to avoid drinking from now on. Does anyone else suffer from this?

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi are you taking meds with the drinking as i would be very concerned if you are. Drinking is a depressant in its self which will not help with your depression or anxiety. Would be best to lay off the drink for a while and see if it makes any difference, you could still go out and have non alcohol if that's what you want to do. Lots of people don't drink and enjoy, its the company that counts. Hope this helps.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I have taken meds in the past but I am not on them anymore. I think ur right I do need to lay off drinking for a while and see how I go, the repercussions are not worth it and as a whole it will be healthier for me! 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Gem, 

It seems more like the after effects of alcohol, rather than social anxiety as it happens when you're at home (after drinking) rather than in the situation.

I get similar symptoms after drinking, so I don't drink anymore. Alcohol makes your heart race, often makes people feel nauseous, and acts as a diuretic (dehydrates you) and pubs/clubs are often very over crowded, and hot, dehydrating you further. Alcohol also effects your sleeping patterns, and is a depressant, so can affect your mood. Seeing as you say that you already suffer from anxiety and depression, it's probably best if you stop drinking/strictly limit your drinks. 

Hope this helps smile 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply it really helps to know I'm not alone in having  this, I've tried talking to friends and my husband but they can never fully understand as it doesn't happen to them and it's hard to describe how it makes me feel. I think it Is the affects of the alcohol leaving my body. Definitely need to lay off the alcohol, it scares me that one day it could lead me to do something silly when it's happening. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I always used to feel shakey/panicky when drinking, but I think for me, it was more the effects of the alcohol on me, rather than my anxiety. But I haven't drank alcohol for a year and a half and that's caused no problems when I go out, even though my friends all drink. smile
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up