Anxiety again on venlafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have been on venal faxing since the beginning of December, started at 75mg upped to 150mg. It got me out of a dark depression however, seemed anxiety kicked in at 150mg. I had some really good days on 150mg. I then upped it by another 37.5mg, which worked great for one week. I really felt back to my old self with no anxiety and was on top of the world. Then this Monday evening, the anxiety kicked in and it's been with me ever since. Tingly, tummy going over, losing a few pounds in weight etc.

I wonder if the dose is too high? Or, should I increae again? Why would I have felt fantastic for a week then plummeted?

Any advise would be appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately that is the nature of the illness. Everyone as you know has ups and downs even without suffering with depression, what the doctors want to see in us is more stability over a much longer period of time, where we have more good days(maybe not on actual top of the world where you feel you can tackle anything  but functioning quite well with just living) than bad days when you canno be bothered with anything or having anxiety attacks that prevent us doing the simplest of tasks, and this stability is usually at the very least for 6 months.

Hope that helps. I am no expert just suffered a long time and been on AD for over 6 years continuously. I started on Venlafaxine same time as you and had it increased from 75 mgs to 150mgs. I have also been referred to see a consultant psychiatrist who I have to see tomorrow.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think your body was getting used to the higher dose.  Have you spoken to your doctor about this?  Was it they who told you to increase your dosage?  Strange it worked for one week only.  I don't think you should increase again until you have spoken to your doctor.

Do you feel you could try again 9on 150mg and see if your body gets used to it.  Often we will feel worse before we feel better, but I must admit strange you felt well for a week.

I know we are all different, and react to anti depressants in different ways.  What suits one may not suit another.  I did well on 15omg.  I did not do well on generic Venlafaxine, but the named brand Effexor did get rid of my depression and anxiety. 

I can't explain why you plummeted, but would not advise increasing dose until you find you can stabalise on 150mg. 

I really don't know why this happened. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i must admit - at the weekend I did drink quite a lot and I did something stupid and took a little bit of cociane. I'm really kicking myself now as this is probably the reason I've gone back down into the state of anxiety.

Never again. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I a not going to have a go but I think you have just answered your own question. Try to avoid situations that increases the risk of taking alcohol and drugs, they will only add to problems over time.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The cocaine won't be in your system that long, so it's not setting you as far back as you may think. Any stimulant can increase irritability, which I think could spark depression/anxiety symtoms. I'd avoid cocaine and other stimulants. Medicinal marijuana is a nice substitute for some people.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up