Anxiety & alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I suffer with health anxiety. Due to this I have had to pretty much stop drinking alcohol as it gives me a terrible hangover & sends me into panic & 9 times out of 10 I'll end up down A&E thinking I'm having a heart attack & also the hangover lasts for about 3 days & also gives me insomnia!

I know people will just say don't drink but I know this sounds silly but it has made me boring. I used to only social drink & really enjoy having a drink I was the life & soul of the party now I'm the 1st one to go home as people annoy me if their drunk & im not lol......I really do not want to give up drinking & also when I am drinking it's the only time I do NOT get anxiety & makes me feel so relaxed! Does anyone have any amazing hangover cures (I have prob tried them all) or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Drinking excessively induces the symptoms of anxiety, and it can even trigger panic attacks. This is because of the effects that alcohol has on the body – it is a toxin that can cause havoc to proper physical and mental functioning.
  • Posted

Yea I quit drinking too when I'm drinking it's so great I feel like normal then I wake up in middle of night pure panic for hours it's terrible so I had to give it upI suffer from health panic also

• Posted

Yes same as me Dave I awake in the night with rapid heart beat & panic & takes me ages to get back to sleep!

I'm also getting married next year & going to Marbella on my hen do which makes me nervous! X

• Posted

Yes rapid heart beat well for me 88 91 Bmp is rapid resting mine is 65 but rapid heart beat super shaky n panic takes me hours to fall back asleep n I drank for years to cope with panic n always felt that feeling just never cared till I hit 30 then it started freaking me out
  • Posted

I drink throughout the week, in my case my GP knows about it and I am very careful.

At this moment I am reducing my limit by a Litre per week as I am getting older and take Opiates and AD medications. It is in my case I know my limit and stick to it, if you are drunk you are over your limit and sad to say you will suffer a hangover and if you are drinking to that point it could take three days to get rid of the hangover bcause of the mixture of drugs and drink.

Life would be boring if we stopped doing things we enjoy. I usd to go around the Distileries and try all the different Malts, so I still enjoy a beer and Malt wiskey, a double dram, I never have a couple of glasses of Beer, and Malt it is one of each and I change the type of Wiskey to enjoy the taste.

Work out what you can take, then reduce it slightly, be responsable 

B.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.....even if I don't get drunk I can feel hungover do even if I have 2 glasses of wine feel a fine not drunk the next day I can tell I had a drink the night before....p.s I don't do drugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.