ANXIETY & ALCOHOL

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am new to all this, but just wanted to know if other anxiety sufferers use a crutch i.e alcohol/drugs? I have had a bad relationship with alcohol all my life but have recently found myself drinking to relieve the feelings! I am now dealing with another problem which I dont need! I dont know if I should try CBT? I tried this before and found it a waste of time, but I dont know what the answer is??

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

CBT can help you with coping strategies to abstain from alcohol. There is also AA to help you.
    • Posted

Yeh thanks that's the normal response, but as I said it's a crutch not a cause! But thanks for your response 🙂

• Posted

As you well know icecool is right about the alcahol.it is a depressant.if somebody gave you alcohol free lager and you didnt know it was alcohol free then that would have the same calming effect i would imagine because its a placebo,its just plastering over the anxiety and not getting rid of it.its so hard to get off booze when you know it helps.but it is helpful if you can find another distraction not involving booze or drugs. If you have some money to spend then try hypnotherapy.it worked for me. You have to believe it will work tho emma for it to work.you know this is just yr mind and thoughts working overtime and not a real illness.i really hope you dont keep going down the booze route. Accept yr anxiety and try yr upmost to tell it to p##s off when it comes on.distract yrself with a walk or a phone call to a trusted friend who will help you take yr mind off this horrid crappy mind numbing phsycological sensation.
  • Posted

Sorry This discussion is closed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.