Anxiety and aching body

Posted , 4 users are following.

My GP says I have anxiety. Had stressful few years. My symptoms are aching body similar to flu symptoms and also aching in different areas of the body. Have been prescribed anti-depressants. Unsure whether to take them or just try to sort anxiety without them. Wondered if anyone had a similar experience and advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

from my experience if you are so stressed then medication is good to make the symptoms disappear however after you calm down and you feel better, you need to sort out your problems whatever is bothering you find a solution and release all this negative energy. I wish you all the best
  • Posted

I'd definitely try and sort out the anxiety/depression by other means (e.g. Cognitive behavioural therapy, hypnotherapy, counselling) and use medication as a last resort. Most people have very bad side effects from medication at the beginning (almost always feeling a lot more anxious/depressed in the first couple of weeks- your GP should have warned you about the possibility/increase of suicidal thoughts) and bad withdrawal symptoms too. Other types of anxiety/depression treatment aim to treat the problems in the present and the future, whereas medication only tackles the present. Hypnotherapy/CBT are often a lot more effective on the long run, while most medications of this type tend to become ineffective, meaning that you need to increase the dose/change medication.
  • Posted

My anxiety is linked to work pressures and that I can not change unless I change jobs. I feel I need to learn how to deal with issues better rather than stressing inside my head. Feel certain events in my past have made me contain the anxiety and now it has come out by achy flu symptoms. Dr has offered counselling but unsure. Yes worried about side effects of anti depressants as do not want to feel any worst than I do now. Trying some positive thinking but aching not going anywhere. Thanks for advice
  • Posted

Hello Alice and All,

Ahh yes, the dreaded workplace anxiety. I know it well. As Kiki says, it will need sorting or it will make your life a misery. Also agree with Kiki that if you are in a state you should take the meds to help you. I got into a very bad place by not doing this (typical male response : ignore it until it kills you). Yes there can be side effects, but generally they are manageable, reduce over a few days or perhaps weeks and the benefit can be life saving. What has the GP given you please?

Also I used the NHS Talking Therapies service for some coaching on how to manage my thoughts. Originally I told the GP to take his talkers and jump in the lake. I was sea sick and I just needed to get off the boat. Once I settled a bit on the meds I was able to get my head around the talking therapy.

In the end it's your decision, and you can always change it later on.

David.

• Posted

Dr has prescribed Citalopram. Do not really understand how stress etc has had such an effect on my body to cause all this aching. It is like a circle, worrying about aching-aching feels worst. Thanks for advice. Maybe should try tablets before I see GP again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.