Anxiety and antidepressants

Posted , 5 users are following.

This will be long but I need some advice and guidance.

For about two months I started dealing with depersonalization and depression with a lot of anxiety and I’m still unsure of what the root of the problem is. Was dealing with intrusive thoughts that were making me sick in the mornings and so I finally went to the doctor and they put me on Celexa.

I’ve been on Celexa for 4 weeks and 3 days. I started feeling good and then crashed and feel worse again like I’m not in control of myself as silly as that sounds. Waking up for hours in the night and shaking. Last night was the first time I started feeling numbness in my face and arms so that made my anxiety worse so I started to panic fast forward to this morning I just feel like a zombie. Is this normal or do I need to go back to my doctor? I feel like I’m losing control of myself. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Very often these medications can take up to six or eight weeks to show improvement in depression  and anxiety. Celexa is an antidepressant medication and is often prescribed to treat anxiety disorders . Medication alone is just one part of managing panic and anxiety . There is no one magic bullet for this. 

The other part of this is what you can do for yourself such as speaking with a counselor, doing things that help you relax, listening to meditations for anxiety and panic on YouTube, trying not to take life too seriously, eating healthy and getting some exercise. These are some  of the many parts that go into regaining your peace of mind.

The counselor can help you with a plan for all of this and may have some ideas that you’re not thinking of at the moment.  The counselor can help you get to the root of the problem. It really helps  to talk to someone in person. 

you can always go back to your doctor if you want, but most likely they will tell you your symptoms are caused by stress and anxiety. There’s not much a doctor can do except prescribe medication and suggest a therapist speak with you. The rest is up to us.  Here are some great suggestions of audios on YouTube that completely relax my mind, body and symptoms: 

“Panic attack emergency or just panic attack. They will guide you through it. 

Mindfulness Meditation for relaxation by Glenn”. This is Very good,,'!  Get really comfortable laying down first, use earbuds.

Many more to choose from.  The key is to calm down your mind which in turn will relax your body and symptoms.  

Anxiety symptoms are your body’s way of telling you that you have too much stress .

The symptoms are not the problem, it’s unmanaged anxiety.

Feel better ??😁

• Posted

Thank you so much for the links! I feel like I can’t cope lately. But it’s been a tough road. I appreciate the support. I’m going to talk to someone soon I hope. 
  • Posted

I’ve been on Sertraline for around 8 weeks for severe anxiety. Like you I thought I was getting better and felt ok for a week or so then I felt really bad again for a while, then better. It’s happened several times for me. From what other people have said to me, it’s fairly normal to be up and down and unfortunately it’s not always a smooth road to  recovery. For me it feels like my nervous system is hyper sensitive and any kind of stress seems to push it over the edge into anxiety. Today is a good day, so it’s easier said than done on my bad days, but I try and take one day at a time and know that each day I go through is a day closer to getting better. I would say though if you’re worried about any of your symptoms go back to the doctors so you don’t worry about that too! Anxiety does really strange things to your body and mind. It doesn’t mean you’re losing control or going crazy, it’s because your nervous system is in overdrive and needs help to calm down. I hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the fast reply. How do you cope with the feeling of losing control or going crazy? I feel like everything I do is causing that. My emotions are kind of out of wack to where I feel like I can’t concentrate or feel right. 
    • Posted

To be honest, I don’t always cope very well. I’ve been given some diazepam for emergencies but I don’t like taking them because I worry what  I’ll do when they run out. I’m trying to tackle it from lots of different angles. I’m trying to eat really healthy and looking into anti inflammatory diet, taking supplements such as magnesium, b vitamins and fish oil, trying to get fresh air and exercise when I feel able, I’m also having counselling. On bad days I just concentrate on getting through the day and go as easy as possible on myself. I’m having to learn to let others take care of me which is not easy for me and part of the illness for me. I’ve noticed some triggers for my anxiety, which has helped me work out where it’s coming from. It hasn’t made it go away, so far but I’ve learnt what I need to do to lessen it. When my mind is obsessing on things I watch a lot of videos on YouTube about things that help anxiety! It’s a hard road and you have to realise you are ill, but you will get better. 
    • Posted

I’m sorry to hear that I know it will get better though! I’m trying so hard to remember there’s a light at the end. I’m having trouble with a lot with letting people be there for me. I’m not working either because whenever I go out I freak out and i can’t control it. 

Do you feel weird even when you aren’t panicking? I feel off. 

• Posted

Sometimes I can feel quite calm and then I think what if I get anxious again, then I start to feel anxious, so even feeling calm can set it off, lol! I know what you mean about never feeling quite right even when you’re okish. For me I’ve noticed when I actually let people be there for me it lessens the anxiety, but only if they initiate it. If I have to ask I feel guilty, then that can kick start the anxiety. 
    • Posted

Yeah exactly it’s such a weird feeling! I constantly feel off and like there’s something around my head but it doesn’t hurt. The depersonalization makes it hard for me to go out and have people be there for me. I don’t even understand why I’m scared to go out when I do I feel like I’m going to go crazy or what if. 
  • Posted

Hi Jess I know exactly how you feel, I've had severe depersonalisation and anxiety for 2 months and I'm still waiting for sertraline to kick in I have been on them 4 weeks. It's a waiting game for antidepressants to work, take one day at the time. My brain feels like it's going to explode lol with all this anxiety! How do you cope with your depersonalisation? Cos mine freaks me out!

• Posted

I’m right there with you! Sometimes I’m like am I dying or losing my mind?? I haven’t been able to go to work because I have uncontrollable crying sometimes because I feel so trapped. Right now I’m just taking deep breathes and reminding myself that I’ve always been here everything around me has always been here and I drink tea which relaxes me to a degree. But tv seems to make me question things more. But I hope the medication helps with that. Just keep taking deep breathes and hen that happens I know that’s not easy I’m still learning 
  • Posted

Hi Jess, If I were you, I would call my doctor. Your medicine may need more time or your dosage may need to be increased. I would also recommend therapy. It is good to talk about our anxiety and depression. You may never know the reason for it, but you can learn how to control it better. Take Care.  ((Hugs)).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.