Anxiety and Benefits

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone help. I have severe anxiety and I just cannot function at work.  I am a single parent and terrifed of not being able to provide a home for my son.  My employer is probably going to say they don't want me anymore as they cannot afford to pay sick pay as they are a small business.  I have always worked but feel like somethings got to give or else i may be too poorly to look after my son.  Has anybody else been in this situation and can i get benefits for my illness?  

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Catherine,

    I too struggled functioning at work due to anxiety and so I resigned (stupid zero hour contract) so I wouldn't get any sick pay. 

    I didn't have a clue what to do as I have my own place but I am currently claiming ESA and housing benefit until I can get myself sorted. 

    I do feel a little bad being on it but at the end of the day, anxiety is a terrible illness. To claim ESA (employment support allowance) you just call up job centre plus. There may be other benefits, I'm not sure. 

    Hope you feel better and get things sorted soon x

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    how long have you been experiencing severe anxiety? Has it got worse recently? Can you speak to your employer about how you're feeling? If your employer doesn't pay sick pay, you would be able to get statutory sick pay which I think is about £80 a week. Are you wanting to give up work altogether? 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Ok first and foremost you might want to get some advice from Citizen advice, the is legislation that protects people with Mental Health illness. they cant sack you because of you anxiety and depression.

    The next thing you do is get down the benefits agency and see if your entitle to Income support as you have a child to bring up, also Housing Benefit and Council tax credit too. It maybe that you go on Universal Credit if you live in an are that is now running the DWP scheme.

    Lastly if you havent seen your doc make an appointment to have a proper check out to ensure it anxiety. If it is then they can prescribe meds short term and get you on a CBT/Counselling therapy.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Catherine, I too had my first panic attack at work. It was horrible everything became blurry and I felt frozen.  I had to leave early and went on temp disability after going to a Psychiatrist.  I got stabilized on medication and was able to return to work after four months.  Have you tried seeing a doctor about medication for anxiety/depression? I am from the US, and I was able to receive Social Security benefits and after I had my son and had severe anxiety, I was put on permanent disability.  So you would have to see what your entitled to where you live. However, if you can go on a med or get behavioral therapy and still work It is a much better plan, keeping busy and having somewhere to go everyday is much healthier than  staying home.  I wish you luck and health, take care


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up