Anxiety and breathing

Posted , 7 users are following.

So i've had GAD for about 5-6 months and ive made leaps and bounds into getting better. I haven't had a panic attack in over a month now (i sure dont miss them..) But im still anxious. i'm entirely certain my anxiety directly links to my breathing. I know i dont have a problem with my lungs as i can breathe fine through my mouth when i gasp or sigh or yawn or just generally breathe and after a while i get dizzy or whatever but thats obviously cause my oxygen levels to go off i can also breathe fine through my nose when im relaxed watching tv or going to bed etc.. im trying to teach myself to breathe through my nose again but it quickly gets laboured and tough to do and i subconsciously just revert back to mouth breathing which gives me some chest pains followed by burping etc from swallowing air 

I also get some tension in my abdomen when im walking around, i think this is mostly anxiety i can relax it temporarily by deep breathing or by putting something warm on my muscles so i doubt its anything medical.

can anyone recommend any breathing exercises or ways so i can consciously remember to breathe through my nose and finally kick anxieties ass :D thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rawb,

I do not have a recommendation on this however I am in the same boat. Feeling much better after nearly 2 months on Cit with a few small exceptions. Since before my GAD got really bad I have issues when walking around I feel light headed like I may pass out or faint or something. I try to alter my breathing as well and note my breathing when I am out. For me, I nose breath and try to tell myself that its just my GAD. I do notice when I mouth breath I get that feeling and some burps etc. Really not sure if this is GAD or something else either. I hope someone has a answer to this one.  Hope you don't mind me joining the thread.  Xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've steered clear of medication, thankfully. I don't want to become dependant on a mood enhancing drug. Although I've taken a long time out of work, (11 weeks so far) I'm almost certain my problems are all anxiety related and if you have the same symptoms take solace in that. My symptoms are not nearly half as bad as they were since I've managed to calm myself down a bit, so all signs do point towards anxiety.

And of course I don't mind you joining in. All feedback is useful to me smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there , Yes this is Anxiety. Have you tried Lavender oil on a tissue? Anxiety is horrid. I am a sufferer. Have been like this for too many years. Have  you tried Reflexology?or a Massage?Both very good with Anxiety, I can assure you. As for night time. I find Anxiety is always bad at night. I listen to a calming CD and have a warm drink at night last thing.Tomorrow I am going for a jacuzzi !! Some thing for me. As I am a full time carer. So its my time tomorrow. Hope what I have said makes sense. I am on Beta-blockers. 80 mg x a day. Regards Amanda 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have health anxiety and it's rubbish. I have a horrid fear of vomiting but some how I control that I only panic when I'm actually sick.

However in January my anxiety went to an all time high. Was at work and just thought I was gonna die then my heart rate went through the roof chest pains and shortness of breath. I've seen my doctor a number of times and said physically he can't find anything wrong and so it goes on and on been to A&E too many times had chest xray.bloods.ecg they say it's not heart related especially at my age ect but we me I can't accept it's anxiety I genuinely believe there is a problem they are missing

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If you had a problem they'd spot it a mile off, especially a problem like what you're talking about.. you're stuck in a negative belief mindset. Your thoughts cause changed in your body, you tense up (causes pain) breathe too shallow or too deep (causes chest pain dizziness palps etc) you need to See your GP about some therapy. Cause if you're healthy it IS anxiety.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have seen my gp they have put me on meds which sometimes makes me a little calmer. Also tried CBT but that did nothing for me I have now be referred for one to one counciling hopefully this will help
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have the same problem with throwing up. Like as if throwing up is the worst thing on earth but anytime I feel ANY sense of illness or light headedness I can set myself into a tizzy about the possibility of throwing up which ruins my entire appetite and day usually. Regardless of how idiotic I feel it continues to happen
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Can't cope with my anxiety, the feeling that I can't breath is really getting to me 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would recommend you try taking magnesium supplement first. See if it that helps x 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Awesome I took magnesium for a little while to help with my muscle spasms / cramps and it was in he transitional period where my anxiety started coming way down I haven't taken it for a couple of weeks but it does make sense that I should get back on it. Can't hurt right! Thanks
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I started taking magnesium recommended by my mother after I complained to her I get muscle cramps after excersing and not because I thought it will help my anxiety initiatly but my anxiety disappeared almost completely during the months I was taking the supplement. I am not 100% sure it's just magnesium because I made some crucial life changes during that time. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up