Anxiety and breathing difficulty

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all,

I'm 33 and have been having difficulty breathing as a result of anxiety for many years.

I tried medicine and psychotherapy and none of them helped. I'm so frustrated and can't function like a normal person. The breathing problems almost never goes away and it only changes in severity. What i have noticed is that when i'm exited with an adrenaline rush as a result of mental stress (be it happy or very sad)  i'm felling better but it doesn't last for more than a couple of minutes,

Another problem I have is in making decisions but I don't know if it related.

I will be very happy if anyone can help and give me some advice.

Michael.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever heard of mindfulness?   It's a way of managing stress and anxiety that is popular all over the world and it really works for me. There is a book with that same title that teaches you how to deal with anxiety, negative thoughts  and fear. It's a white cover book with a ball of string on the front. People on this site have bought it I believe from Amazon and have it on their kindles. But you can purchase the book at any bookstore.  Help you regain your peace of mind and control over the anxiety. 

another thing I do a couple times a day that really help is listen to audio meditations on YouTube for anxiety or depression or sleeping etc. They use the mindfulness approach. My whole mind and body comes down in my symptoms greatly diminished or go away.  Just search YouTube for guided mindful meditation for anxiety or whatever you want.  There are so many to choose from. 

A good one to start with is called  mindfulness meditation for relaxation 

There's also another one that's important to know for breathing. You can search for guided breathing meditation. This is also taught in the book. There are even classes you can take in mindfulness . 

The meditations are great because they incorporate proper breathing technique with eliminating negative thoughts and reducing anxiety. 

problems making decisions is definitely related to anxiety and stress! I have a really bad case of that and I've had major anxiety since grade school. I am now in my 50s but I am able to manage the anxiety way better now. 

what happens with all of the negative thinking is that it makes you second-guess yourself so it's difficult to make decisions. One thing we should never do is sit around and think about this anxiety and worry about it because that will make everything worse. I try to stay active, socialize, listen to the meditations , Eat healthy, remember to laugh and smile and be good to yourself. 

I hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

I agree with the mindfulness.  It works wonders and so do the Youtube clips.  I have anxiety and am always thinking I am not breathing deeply enough.  Distracts takes it away and these clips on Youtube completely take your mind off your breathing.  Some can be half hour long and then you suddenly realise you are not thinking about your breathing.  Defo look into it if you have not done already. 
  • Posted

Hi Michael

You need Therapy they can teach you ways to calm yourself down. 👍You can try to self imagery which is imagining yourself in a beach just you all alone and listening to the waves. Go out for a run or a walk. Try breathing techniques. If you're having difficulty breathing it could mean it's a panic attack what you are experiencing. Good l

• Posted

Thank you all for helping.

I will try to listen to the youtube videos about mindfulness. I also started therapy and she said that she will teach me breathing techniques that will help with my anxiety. On a side note, anyone now what could be the reason that I keep falling in love with unavailable women (married)? 

• Posted

Sometimes we are drawn towards the unattainable or forbidden fruit just because it's that......forbidden.   We want something that we cannot have. But we cannot only think of what we want, we need to consider the consequences of our actions and how it affects others.

My advice would be to stay with away because it will only cause trouble and could possibly destroy a family. 

Focus on available women, I'm sure there are many you could love.??

• Posted

Thanks, I will try.

With me it always starts as a friendship and then I develop romantic feeling.

I guess being single at 33 (never had a GF) makes me search for attention wherever I can find it.

Feeling so lonely... 

• Posted

I think about having a relationship with almost every woman I meet (including my current therapist). But now I really miss a women (married of course) that left work last week. We had a really good relationship and I managed to keep it platonic in my head up until the moment she left. Everyone at work said that she is like a mom to me. She made me feel good because she told me she loved me and we really had fun together talking. When she left, she wrote me a note saying that we will keep our relationship and that I am welcome to visit her home.

Miss her so much...

• Posted

The thing is, that I don't want to have any romantic relationship or feelings for her becuase I enjoy having her as a friend. She was the only women that ever told me she loves me (even if it's only as a friend). 

• Posted

Michael very often in order to have a good relationship with someone, we need to get in touch with ourselves first. That requires  first loving ourselves and being able to be happy , Strong and independent whether we have someone or not. 

This is important because you always want to go into a relationship feeling secure about yourself otherwise insecurities can really negatively affect our relationship. 

I have been in your situation and I found when I spoke with the counselor about this, it really helped me a lot! The counselor helped me grow myself and love myself more so that I wasn't feeling so needy

.  Also if you go to a bookstore there are numerous books on self love and relationships that are very beneficial to read! 

but definitely stay away from the unavailable women and just focus on the available ones. 

Believe me, I know what loneliness feels like! I want so much to meet  a nice guy.

but I also want to meet the right guy for me.   I know that just because I might like someone that doesn't mean he's the right one for me. Especially someone who is already in a relationship or married. That just won't work and it's wrong. So it's basically a waste of time.

No one is going to make me happy. I have to be happy first with myself. That makes for a great solid relationship.   That's why I highly encourage you to speak to a counselor about this and or go to the bookstore. These would provide the guidance that you need right now because sometimes this is a confusing and difficult issue trying to solve all on our own. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.