Anxiety and chronic pain??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys. Sorry long story but here goes. 10 weeks ago i started getting upper middle severe pain when i bent down, reached up, twisted. I had bowel surgery as a baby across transverse colon and my pain was just above this (like where pancreas is) it took over my life i lost everything i stopped eating because the pain came on and stop doinv anything and lost 2 stone in weight. In this time i went to a&e 18 times. Admitted 4 times. Had 12 xrays, endoscopy/colonoscopy, ct scan, mri small bowel scan, 2 abdoman ultrasounds and ct aniorgram.i had ambulance out 5 times. Been told so many different diagnosis and made myself worse by dr google. Bloods normal, stool sample for celiac normal, endiscopy found hiatel hernia but they say wouldnt hurt me? Mri and xray found fecal impaction currently cleared. Other tests clear. I have a transvaginal and heart test to go yet. They put me on Citalopram for GAD, health anxiety and depression 4 weeks ago. I still get scared as my pain is chronic. Feel like im dying or losing my mind. Can anxiety really cause pain like that and how long should tablets take to help sad im on 10mg

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have your medical consultants raised the possibility of adhesions (check Google if necessary) from your bowel surgery, Kerry? They are the almost inevitable result of surgery, esp. to the abdomen, but cause trouble in only a percentage of people, sometimes soon but more often years or decades after the surgery. They are hard to recognise unless they cause other problems - like you are experiencing (e.g. bowel bloackages). Sadly, they're also hard to treat, causing many doctors to give them "the silent treatment".

• Posted

Hi I have had the same issues and after all the testing I was told it was the adhesions.

I was told their was nothing to treat it, but one of the nurses told me to drink lots of water. Also try not to get constipated. And when you feel the pain starting, I was told to not eat for 24 hours and just drink water. (It seems to work, but make sure you hydrate yourself) If the pain does not go you should go to the emergency to prevent a bowel obstuction.

Hope this helps and feel better. I got the adhesions from a tear on my bowel from a c/section 12 years ago by the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.