Anxiety and citalopram

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I've been on citalopram for just over 3 weeks now and had terrible side effects, nausea and increased anxiety being the worst. Now I'd say the constant nausea is linked to my anxiety rather than the citalopram. However, my anxiety is terrible as soon as I become conscious in a morning. It's constant not like a wave of panic, then it goes to my tummy and I feel awfully sick,, usually end up wretching. By late afternoon and the evening I do start to feel better, but getting to that point is so hard. The dr says it can take a number of weeks for the citalopram to start working and says cbt is the best thing for anxiety, problem being it takes weeks for a referral.

I've lost loads of weight cause I can't eat and I'm just so fed up. Surely I should be starting to feel some benifits soon?

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone just a quick check in to let you know how things are going.

Woke up this morning with usual panic at 7am ish. Took a beta blocker and dosed on and off in bed until late morning. Decided to get out of bed after 11:30, had just decided to hide under the duvet!!!! Didn't take my citalopram till then so a couple of hours later than usual. I have to admit I felt fine! No wretching, no anxiety, though my head was trying hard to find it.

Decided to just crack on, went out in the car to the shop and to see a friend. Now I do feel shaky but not panicky but then I haven't eaten.

Feel like I'm eventually getting somewhere...... I know tomorrow could be a return to the usual, but it's so nice to feel a little bit like myself, albeit shaking at the knees!

Maybe there is hope? Maybe, just maybe the meds are starting to work?

Xxxxx

• Posted

Yay ur getting somewhere!! Dont panic if u have a good day then a few bad thats how they work little by little fingers crossed ur on the way to better day
    • Posted

Thanks

Today hasn't been great felt sick all day, but knowing that I can have a good day has kept me positive! One day at a time and hopefully more food days on the horizon xx

• Posted

Everything crossed for you vicky !! X keep us all posted cause it gives us hope. Wish I could sleep like that x
  • Posted

I am so fed up with this now. Last 2 days I've felt so sick. Still getting anxiety especially in the morning. 4 and a half weeks on citalopram now and I'm not sure it's doing anything. Please help

• Posted

Im swapping my doc says cits now not the best for anxiety so as of tomorrow im changing i never really felt great on cit if ur not happy with it change to something else

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.