Anxiety and Citalopram - Bad Bad Reaction!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

Three weeks ago, I was prescribed 24mg of citoloptam for anxiety and panic attacks. I was anxious about taking them as I had a bad reaction to topirimate that I took earlier this year for migraines, which gave me awful anxiety and agitation and generally feeling unwell.

Sooo, I took one on the Friday,  felt sick and little panicky, which was okay and was bareable.... The saturday night I took one at 7pm and by 9 I felt really strange and faint and was drenched with sweat.... got into bed at 10.30, rolled over and closed my eyes and the worst thing ever happened. I started hallucinating and all these random images were coming towards me, my heart raced like crazy, really sweating hard, got out of bed but fell down and couldnt get up!!! Called 111 but they weren't really interested. This lasted until 10.30 the next morning and was truly the worst thing  that has ever happened to me. It was like I was on a really bad trip

Now 3 weeks on my anxiety is worse than ever,  I keep having random flashbacks all day from my childhood and teen years, like de ja Vue,  sweating  and panic attacks caused by 2 doses of those bloody tablets!! 

Is this drug induced anxiety or? Please help smile x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I meant 20mg! **
  • Posted

Have you been back to your gp and told him

• Posted

Yes, I went a fortnight ago and spoke to them over the phone last Friday. They don't seem to fussed by it though. X
  • Posted

Persist, go back again and again if you have to, to get some kind of answers. My daughter had a bad reaction to Citilopram as well. We were at A & E more than once. She would not take any more, only took the one. She is now on Sertraline and I am pleased to say she is on the mend. You have to make a nuisance of yourself until you get the answers you want. Fortunately, my other daughter is a nurse and knows how to make her voice heard so action was taken.
    • Posted

It's just so difficult to be taken seriously! I'm only 22 and would love my life back.  The k you for your comment. X
  • Posted

I agree with Jean, do not accept intransigence from the GP, if the side effects are so bad speak to the practice manager or email the practice manager and tell him/her that you need answers. H
    • Posted

Hillusinations are a serious side effect and should not be dismissed! 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm not hallucinating anymore and feel physically well, it's just the mental effect from it. I agree, was annoyed when the doc told me to do yoga which is something have been doing for about 6 years! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.