Anxiety and coughing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I suffer from anxiety about my health  Can anyone tell me if you can cough with wheeze from anxiety I find I hyperventalate and make my self cough and start wheezing  I have had clear ct scan for lungs  but worry why this happens 

Hate this anxiety so much. Wish I was more positive 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You can use a paper bag and when you hypoventalate breath into the bag and the problem will go, however do not try this with a polythene bag you cold suffocate.

Whe breath out Carbon Dioxide and that breathed back in stops the hypaventalation.

Good Luck, keep a hold

B.

• Posted

Meds can cause this. If you are on any look into that. Dry air can do this, cold air can do this. If you tend to hyperventilate learn to belly breathe and breathe in that manner. 

It is not "your fault". You steer towards negative. Anxiety produces certain chemicals on a regular basis. They switch on logic and hapoy hormines switch off. So yu keep trying to learn self helo skills and dont beat yiurself up about it. No one would ever "choose"  this anxiety disorder as a lifestyle. 

• Posted

hi Lisa thank you for reply  I seem to get chesty after overbreathing don't know if that's normal  comes and goes  

• Posted

I hyperventalate during appointments with psychiatrist , at the hospital when i have been taken to A&E an i was given a tip by one of the staff at the hospital - count 5 breathing , count 5 breathing out , etc an i have managed most of the time to settle my anxiety after a while .

• Posted

I have had a clear cut scan of my lungs as well but I seem to get this cough that comes out of nowhere
    • Posted

Jenni does it feel like mucus on chest when you cough ? This seems to come and go too 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.