Anxiety and depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering with and Anxiety since last year and depression seems to have come along with it, recently I have be fine and have been able to power through but today is a bad day I'm panicking about everything I don't want to go to work and I'm just thinking negatively in general today but I can't snap out of it usually the past few weeks I've been able to ignore it but not today sad not sure what I'm going to do to actually get over it once and for all as it's destroying my life and work ethic completely. 

Just a discussion regarding this would be nice or anyone going through something similar.

Jen.

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny hang on in there, loads of us understand but it doesnt help your pain at this minute. You will get better, everything changes, you will not feel this bad forever. I have lived with anxiety and depression all my life and I have a stressful full time job, home , children etc and we all look the picture of normality but inside I am living on overdrive. Have you been to your GP, go- they will probably offer you SSRI anti depressants like prozac etc. but theyreally work for some people. Get up ,get walking ,breathe in the fresh air,be glad to be alive-believe things will get better. I am still working on getting the right meds age 53 but you can get the right help. Talk to family and friends ,they may be experiencing the same thing?Talk to your online manager. They have to safeguard your mental well being in all jobs now, they connot discrimate against anyone with mental health issues. As I said keep talking to we who understand and get moving physically-very important for brain function. Sending love to you .Hang in there. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Iv been through the same Jen. I find myself feeling fine, but then come back to earth with a crash... I take 40mg of citalopram antidepressants and theyve changed my life. I dont recommend Meds but it may be worth a try short term, maybe a small dose.. Try incorporating some of the tecniques CBT teaches... There are a lot of self help books out there. CBT is great for anxiety and depression. I had 9 sessions and it helped me.. It trains you into thinking differently and teaches you how to control negative and intrusive thoughts. There is a book CBT therapists work from, which they ask you to gradually work through during sessions. Its called overcoming low self esteem by Melanie Fennel. Bear in mind though that its not just to do with low self esteem. Its a greta book and wuold really help you i think...xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Great Book ***
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thnaks for the responses both very hepful! i will definately look into getting some self help books as its all in the mind and if i can start thinking differently on how i see or perceive things then hopefuly i will alot better in my wellbeing, its just annoying when it all of a sudden hits you like a ton of bricks.i did go to the doctors in may time but they didnt seem to help me much apart from make me very sleepy and when you still have to work it can become very difficult to deal with.

But its affecting me way to much at the moment and i cant seem to move on with anything, i am an active person so doing exercise and going for runs does help clear my mind alot and get me moving. 

I feel this forum is great in being able to get advice and just generally talk about issues that others are going through also .

Thanks very much jen. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I would definitly try CBT self help guides. It an extremely effective approach to anxiety... If you put in the work you will get a lot out of it. smile xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Jenny, hang on in there, It must be the time of year as I had a really bad day yesterday and to be honest the last month has been hard, but prior to this I was feeling ok for a very long time. 

I have found this forum of great help, first visit today and I have had so much encouragement and kind words. 

It sounds like you are just going through a bad patch - remember it will pass. I asked for help today, but one thing I already know but ignore is that when we do feel better it's time to set up precautions to stop it happening again - we need to learn how to stop the ticking time bomb before it explodes! 

Eating properly and meditation has helped me so far.

All the best.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Two pieces of the advice - apply breathing techniques and mindfulness and awareness to the anxiety first and if that fails to the point you become depressed, allow the depression to completely consume you.

I have spoken endlessly about this on these forums but if you wish to speak any further about breathing techniques or what I mean by allowing the depression to consume you totally, let me know.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thnak you all for your comments they are very helpful, i think once i have found my calling/career i will be much happier as i panic over whats uncertain ahead of me plus money worries and i feel i cant really tell family members as they are all quite strong characters and dont seem to have the issues i suffer with, thats why im glad i can come on here and vent a little.

At the moment i phoned in sick for work this week and i only work part time, its mainly due to the fact that i really dont like my job as its not an industry i want to be in so theres no progression there for me so im panicking and im going on holiday this time next week so i wanted a bit of time to prepare myself for that without the worry of going to work :s

As i said some days i am ok and i can power through and then days that just come out of nowhere and have you feeling so awful about everything that it ends up making you feel ill.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I understand that - my family are all strong characters too - and I didn't tell them until I had a full on breakdown and there was no choice. They sort of went quiet, although I don't think they understand, they did stand by me by telephoning and asking how I was. My grandfather who is very old was particually understanding I found out my gran suffered badly from anxiety. I did find it got a bit better when I told people. 

When I told a good friend she was surprised and sad it happened to me as she thought I was also a very strong person. She also had issues but didn't tell me before I told her. I found the more people I told, the more they told me they had had their 'moments' too!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, yeh I know my aunt suffers with it but I'm the same everyone sees me as this strong person who can deal with anything so telling anyone about this seems like a defeat almost even though it probabally would be a good thing getting it out there, but as you said some people just can understand it and how it actually effects us, so a lot of the time it ends up just being kept inside n bottled up. 

It's good that you have your friend to speak with now if you are both having issues.

My sisters the closest person to me in my life and I trust and rely on her a whole lot but she unfortunately doesn't understand my issues with anxiety and how hard it is to control sometimes no matter how hard your want to power through.x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Do you tell your sister how bad you actually feel? I tend to not say anything to my partner until it's bad as I don't want to burden him. It is good to talk it really does help. What have you done so far? Have you been to a Mind group? I went to one CBT I found the group situation helped me as I realised how many people from all walks of life get anxiety. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Feeling ok today so far I've had a pretty ok weekend, I have work this evening til 2am and so far I'm not panicking I'm actually quite calm which is suprising for me, I just cant wait to just get through it as I always feel a tad proud for making it through just as it's something I struggle with badly, as I'm then off for 3 days 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Continued... And then I go on holiday so hopefully I can have an anxiety free week fingers crossed, hope everyone's weekend is going well. X
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up