Anxiety and depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

It all started when I was sent home from work last week with chicken pox ( I'm a teaching assistant ) since then I've had awful anxiety every day, anybody who knows me, knows I'm always happy and cheerful. I've got an awful feeling I'm going to die. I'm convinced the headaches and shooting pains in my head are signs of a tumour or bleed on the brain. I've been to see the doctor who prescribed 50mg sertraline and 10mg propanol and is referring me for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I don't drink or smoke but the way I feel right now I could smoke 20 cigs and have a good drink! I've had a couple of drinks with it being Christmas and the feeling started to subside. I just need to know how long it's going to take for the medication to start working? I really can't cope with this feeling anymore.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare

I am also normally outgoing bubbly person, but after having some time off work after an op... I started with anxiety.... Its like a health anxiety every twinge etc, sends me on high alert. 

It sounds just like anxiety try to do some positive coping skills to bring the anxiety down, breathing exersises ect:

Try to kind to your self unfortunatley it does happen but you can and will get over this.

Good Luck and stay strong x

• Posted

Thanks Gill, it eases my tension a little knowing other people are going through the same thing I am. I can't wait to feel normal again x

• Posted

Try not to worry. Your dr would have ordered tests if he or she thought it was something very serious. The dr can assess you for things like bleeds or strokes. Why are you thinking you are bleeding?

Have you had chicken pox ?

• Posted

Hello there, Clare. 

Give your medication a few weeks to begin working. It takes a little time to settle in your system. The CBT will also help you learn ways of changing your thinking. We anxious folks have a habit of catastrophizing - which you can read up on. We take a common symptom and use it to imagine the worst. Try to avoid doing that. You'll start to feel better, I promise. smile 

Best xx 

• Posted

Thanks Nick, I feel great when I can actually forget about 'thinking' then a massive surge comes back 🙈 I hate feeling like this, I feel so lethargic xx

• Posted

If your GP feel CBT may help He is considering Anxiety as your problem.

I suppose a few drinks may have loosened you inhabitions and your anxiety was controlled by the Drink. 

Your GP has prescribed several medications, follow the script and hopefully all will sort out given time. 

Give your medication time to work they can take a couple of weeks to cover your condition. 

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob, I've only been taking the medication since Wednesday (28.12) I guess im just hoping for a miracle over night!

• Posted

😬 red wine really takes the edge off for me. I don't want to become reliant but I figure a glass when I feel Really scared can't hurt. If it helps; then fine. We have to get through this somehow! As long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I'd really love it if there was some sort of conference/meeting so we. Lulu all meet each other...? Does anyone know if such a meeting exists?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.