Anxiety and depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! My mother just git out from the facilty about two weeks ago. She had major dep with psychosis .but she is free from hallucinationsnow . Problemis her anxiety is still there . She keeps on asking questionsover and over but then the next day she suddenly becomes quiet but i can that she is still anxious because she can't keep still. Is this probably because she took alprazolamthe prevuous night? That she becomes less anxious. She onmedication by the way but alprazolam is PRNonly. I'm just a little worried about her being quiet .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mini, my guess is it's anxiety related, alprazolam is a short acting benzo so wouldn't have any effect the day after. Is her anxiety being treated via anti depressants or anti psychotic meds? 

Its going to be a while before you see much of a positive increase in her overall mood but if your worried you can always speak to her GP although your GP may not be able to discuss much due to patient confidentiality but giving the GP the heads up won't do any harm.

Your mum is very lucky to have you looking out for her! 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yes she is on meds. Risperidone and escitalopram.

We are actually planning on doing CBt or

Try behavioral treatment because i read that combination of treatment is much better than just relying on medications alone.

Thanks! We really want to support her all throughout...

• Posted

HI. Just to let you know It will get better, she will have a lot to process at the moment, the quiet periods may be just her way of processing what has happened. I was restless and couldn't relax at all for a while after my psychosis. There is a heck of a lot for the mind to work through and to heal itself. But it does heal. Just keep supporting her and be patient, it will all work out eventually but be prepared it may be a long road to full recovery. 

• Posted

Hi! I'm glad you are okay now . We will be looking forward to that day that my other will be on full recovery . Thanks for lettng me know what might be the cause of her quiet times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.