Anxiety and depression what shall I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some years ago I was given medication for anxiety and when I asked the doctor how long I should take it for he smiled and said 'forever'. I stopped taking it after a while as it gave me stomach problems and I didn't like the way I felt.  I have also taken medication during a difficult period  for depression which I think I have had since I was a child.  I  stopped taking that when I felt a bit better.  I had some cbt which helped me with my thoughts which helped a little.  Ihave been 'below the line' for the last few months due to family.  I have ibs, fear of travelling, worry about everything, and feel useless.  I am not good at anything.  My  husband never says I look nice.  I don't want to take medication,  I am not sure what to do.

1 like, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Wow... I'm sure you as not useless.. Can't you speak to any1 or try exercising, reading doing stuff to clear your mind, ?? 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi, first of all you are not useless- i know you say you dont want to take meds but perhaps your present low mood may be related to stopping the anti-depressant meds- this happned to me, i also stopped taking the meds when i felt better- i then went into a period of feeling very low and also lost all sense of my own self-worth- i went to  a counsellor who advised me to talk to my GP, who then put me on a different anti- depressant at a lower dose- it really worked for me- i wonder could your anxiety issue be related to this also? - talk to your GP or another health proffesional- but remember no matter how low you are feeling now - you are not useless- we all get ill at some time in our lives whether mental or physical i hope things improve for you soon -
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your depression/anxiety is telling you that you are useless.  My self destructive mind does it to me every day, along with a barrage of other self defeating comments. Tell it to get lost, I'm having to do this everyday & try to focus on small things everyday to build my self esteem. It's very difficult & you are not alone. 

Have you spoken to your husband about how he is making you feel from not Being praised? 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ah that's horrid. It's not nice when someone close to you can't give priase or encouragement. Especially a spouse, unconditional love & all that. 

I had this with my Mother growing up then got with emotionally unavailable men repeating a pattern, it's taken me a long tie to learn this about myself. On my own level, I can be emotionally unavailable too but the depression etc makes it worse. 

I did a course once where I had to ask 3 friends to say 3 good things about me. I've kept hold of those comments & put them on the fridge, everytime I go in the kitchen I smile. Maybe try something similar, I felt a bit weird asking people but it definitely helps.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

your a valuable and worthy person in your own right, AW - nice as it would be you dont need his comments to validate your own selfworth- he is foolish man if he doesent realise how lucky he is to have you in his life- i hope these negative feelings pass soon, as they will- the best of luck-
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi AW

I've found that a bit of regular fresh air and exercise works wonders.  A 20 minute walk or a very light jog, just something to increase the heartbeat - because when the heart slows back down afterwards you get a little rush of natural 'feelgood' chemicals.

As for feeling useless, I found a lovely little ebook on amazon called the secret of how to be happy, which explains brilliantly how a small random anonymous good deed per day naturally improves one's long-term self worth.  I'm sure there are other books out there but this one really worked for me.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for that.  I do play sport most days and it helps.  I do good deeds for my children most days.  I have thought of volunteering but as I cannot help myself  I couldn't help someone else.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I felt like that a couple of years ago but did volunteering for 6months in a charity shop. I had some really bad days & I put alot of that down to being on the wrong medication. Even something really small helps to make a big difference. Not many people want to give up their time for free so that's really positive that you are selfless enough to want to do that. I met some other people with depression from working in the charity shop & it was a supposrtive environment to work in. Be kind to yourself x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just watched the programme on people living in Calais so desperate that they would cling on to the undercarriage of a lorry. I realise how lucky I am not to have to do that. Why do I let everything get me down so much!.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Because your a human being with feelings of your own my friend, you can change those habits though, try a Mindfulness course or book or there's a great downloadable course on the Centre for Clinical Interventions about worrying it's called What Me Worry? I think.

i do volunteering and I'm stuffing my face with pills at the moment and I do get a great sense of achievement from it and it's only 1 or 2 hours per week. 

Take care my friend... Why? Because your worth it! 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up