Anxiety and drug overload - is there hope for me?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know using a forum indicates that you mental health isnt in the strongest place but I am hoping there is someone out there you has been strong and anxiety free for many years and can offer some hope.

I have had GAD at the severe (want to end it all) end of the spectrum for 8 years. The longest I have been able to lead a normal 'happy' life is 22 months. Other than than my life has been a car crash. When GAD strikes I end up like a toddler - I leave my family home and move back to my mothers, my partner is brilliant but admits he cannot go on like this.

This is the longest I have been off work (6 weeks) although I am still writing some reports from home. I am going to end up on sick pay with not enough money to live because it is a small company. I started a sideline business involving stock animals which might come to an end if I cannot afford their livery. Which I cannot if I am on sick pay. I will do well to keep my rental property (through savings).

I am in-built to pile huge pressure on myself and I think I am the cause of my own downfall.

I have tried 9 different drugs in endless combinations and have not found anything that can make me feel comfortable in myself to lead a full and complete life. I have always got home and back to work but I never been 'me' again. Other than the 22 months I mention above which was after my first attack when I thought it was a blip and had full faith in the meds, I was off 5 days and then back into full action, each episode has knocked my confidence more and more and any sort of recovery has been longer and longer.

Please can someone tell me a great success story where GAD is under control and life feels good. I would also really like to hear from people with children. I have always wanted to be a mum and have decided that it is too risky to bring a child into this. No one wants a crazy mum! If you decided to have a child, how did you reach that decision and has it help reduce the strength of your anxiety? I wonder if having something so precious to fight for increases your ability to cope? 

Many thanks,

Lizzie

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi Lizzie

I don't use this site because My mental state is not at its best, on the contrary, I feel energised by my experiences here.

Busy today so no time to chat but just wanted to let you know, you couldn't have joined a better site for good solid advice.

I just hope the people who have helped me are out there for you too.

Be patient because someone will reply ....and give you gems of wisdom, I am sure.

Good luck Lizzie

Jinny

• Posted

Thank you Jinny, that is really lovely to hear x
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie

For me who has come out of the dark tunnel I used herbel remedies and no meds at all. 

I used lemon balm capsules daily and rescue remedy spray when i could feel an attack building.  The Rescue remedy was my life saver as before that i was unable to even go out of the house for fear of an attack.

I used made changes to my diet.  I cut out caffeine totally alcohol totally and replaced them with camamile tea and other herbel teas that are naturally caffeine and sugar free.

I still have the odd blippy day but nothing I cant control.

I also use breathing and relaxation technques when I feel the pressure building.

All of the above are safe to use along side meds if you are using them but always worth checking with your GP.

Hope this helps smile

Stay strong and believe that light is at the end of that dark tunnel xx

• Posted

Thanks Mel. I am hoping to go drug free and control my own anxiety but when it attacks, it attacks hard and doesnt full lift for weeks or months. I definitely dont have the confidence yet but really really hopeful I will one day.

I don't drink, smoke and have cut out caffeine but that doesnt seem to have done much yet. Thank god for caffeine free diet coke!! Got to laugh at the small things 

• Posted

The rescue remedy spray is brilliant for those bad days and because it is natural and safe to use even for children you can use every few minutes if you need to.

Have you tried camomile tea? it takes some getting used to but it is brilliant for keeping you calm and relaxed throughout the day and it also aids a good nights sleep which I hadn't had for years before I discovered this smile

I really hope these tips will help you over time, you have my support whenever you need it

Mel x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.