Anxiety and exercise

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I feel that my anxiety is getting better, I have good days and then I'll have a really bad day. I started 2017 thinking I am not going to live the rest of my life feeling that everyday will be my last.

I've signed up to do some exercise classes which begin new to week but just thenough thought of them has got my anxiety going into overdrive!

I've heard so many times that exercise helps which is partly why I've signed up to these groups. I'm just so anxious about over doing it and dying..it sounds ridiculous I know! Anyone feeling the same way or has felt similar please get in touch x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes Lou

But im a firm believer do things steady at first, but definatll feel the fear and do it any way.

Good lick and its lovely to see you being so positive it really does help.

• Posted

Yup I used to have that for a long time. I wouldn't start any kind of exercise because I felt like I was gonna die or something. Suddenly one day I got up and started running and I felt a boost of positiveness so I made it an everyday ritual. Not for too much 10 mins of running and some meditation until I strengthen my muscles and do more. You will be able to do it! If you get tired easily don't be scared, when you're anxious you get tired way more easily! Best of luck!

• Posted

My anxiety came from nowhere last February to the point where I couldn't even get out of bed because I felt like I was going to pass out, after 6 months or so it got a tiiiiiny bit better on its own but it was still severe, I tried CBT, it helped to talk it out but didn't really feel like it was doing much after the session was over. One of the things we talked about is that I used to go to the gym before the anxiety started but I said there's no chance I'm going now because I hate my heart beating fast and like yourself I felt like I was gonna die if I over did it! My therapist said to just try half an hour of light exercise at first to ease myself into it. after a month or 2 i was back doing my vigorous exercises that I did before, don't get me wrong I still got the odd thought that my heart was gonna beat too fast or something but OBVIOUSLY it didn't! Honestly working out and eating healthy is the only thing that seems to be working for me, it really clears your head, so give it a go and don't be scared, you'll soon realise that nothing's bad is going to happen to you, you'll just feel great afterwards! Try not to talk yourself out of it, good luck you'll be fine xx

• Posted

I've just got back from my experience exercise class and I enjoyed ithe so much. I was getting myself all worked up before but I thought if I don't go then I never will, I just have to face my fears. Now I'm home I keep thinking perhaps I'm going to keel over but I'm trying so hard to not think like that anymore. I'll continue with the exercise and I hope like you I find it to be beneficial physically and mentally x

• Posted

Yes, I feel the exact same and I've been trying to exercise as well. I did 20 minutes of exercise today and as soon as my heart rate went up I had the worst panic attack(ughhh) I didn't die though I'm still kicking! My panic attacks have been out of control for two weeks now I've even been to the er twice. I'm determined to get thru this hopefully without meds, I wish you the best if luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I've just got back from my exercise class and it was so much fun. There were a couple of moments when I thought oh God, my heart is really bea ting but I carried on and I survived!

I hope you're panic attacks subside soon, sending best wishes x

• Posted

Thank you, I'm happy to hear it went well, I took the kids sledding yesterday and had a good time and even went up and down the hill 3x!! So glad that we are making improvements towards getting better 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.