Anxiety and Friendships

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! So if you didn't already know I have been suffering from what can only be described as Social Anxiety and maybe clinical depression. I had a friend and she was really good and supportive but I feel us growing apart. We use to text and talk all the time but she never replies to my texts anymore and likes to keep it blunt, unless she needs help with something. I also feel like she is always in competition with me, like she even makes who goes to sleep the latest and who wakes up the earliest a competition and I'm like what? I'm always paranoid, which I think maybe could be my anxiety but I'm not sure. Like when we are at school at break, she'll be texting another one of her friends at school the whole time and just won't speak to me. Am I just simply being paranoid?? Oh and she also competes with grades and I feel that she is p*ssed off when I sometimes get higher than her, like one time while doing a foreign language test I got like 2 more than her and I did less revision and she seemed really p*ssed off. She's turning every aspect of our relationship into some kind of competition and I hate it, but then when I think about it I'm always thinking that I am just over thinking everything and really she is just doing normal things. If you have any advice it would be nice to hear from someone smile thanks for reading.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

She may be narcasistic personality...let her go easy. But do get away google it she fits the characteristics.
    • Posted

Thanks, because I'm not sure how much longer I can actually take of it, I know it might not be her fault and it's just the way she is, but it's exhausting to keep "competing" with someone and having to think about my every little action in case she takes it as my trying to be better than her. 
  • Posted

Right but just be careful and slow about letting her go and don't tell her you are letting the friendship go either. These people are not only jealous but can be vindictive. They kind of feed of the pain of others ....

so easy does it, keep being busy and breaking it off slowly.

i wish you luck easy does it!

• Posted

Hello.  I am retired but am just the same.  I have a friend who I text to all the time because I need her support.  I get really paranoid when she does not reply.  I keep sending more texts.  Eventually I do get a reply.  I feel so clingy, but I can't stop myself.  I think we just can't help how we are.  I am sure your friend cares as my does, and they reply to us in their own good time.

Yes perhaps we do overthink things, but we can't help it Hanna

• Posted

yes and i can't help but always think if she is just ignoring me on purpose and it is always in my head and i can never stop thinking about it. But thank you very much<3 all of these contributions have been really helpful to me wink all="" of="" these="" contributions="" have="" been="" really="" helpful="" to="" me="">>
    • Posted

We try to imagine what the other person is thinking, which is silly really, because we don't know do we?  We just imagine the worse scenario.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.