Anxiety and insomnia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I am getting really bad Anxiety especially in the mornings, not sleeping either, i am on Citalopram for last three weeks and the side effects are awful. My anxiety has increased. Any positive feedback please. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Have you considered therapy instead of meds? Its every bit or more effective. I refuse meds because of side effects, therapy works for me
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, how do i get therapy do i speak to the GP and is it a referal system? I am going to try and see GP next week if i can get an appointment, I think i will still need meds for now as i won't be able to cope at the moment and waiting times could be weeks away.
    • Posted

Yes your gp will refer you to psychotherapy and they will work with u to find the best type of therapy. Long term therapy is always best, medication isn't really for long term use - even though it is prescribed long term. I always look sy it as, therapy aims to help you resolve issues so they are no longer distressing. Medication does not resolve, it just masks symptoms
    • Posted

Thanks i will talk to GP, I don't intend to take long term meds,  just need a little help till i can get some therapy. 
    • Posted

Also, this medication is not generally for the short term as the side effects at the start and end are bad and dosages quite often need to be changed. 
    • Posted

There often is a wait for therapy but it really is worth it, good luck with it :-)
  • Posted

Hi, 

I agree, therapy is probably more useful than medication as it treats the root cause, whereas medication just covers the symptoms. Citalopram takes up to two months to work and the side effects are often bad in the first month. If you stick with it, it should hopefully subside soon smile Speak to your GP if you're concerned, and do not suddenly stop taking this medication without a Dr's consent (dosage needs to be reduced before stopping to reduce the chance of even worse withdrawal symptoms)

Feel better soon smile 

• Posted

Thanks Amy i will talk to GP maybe see if i can have a lower dose with their supervision as the least meds i can take the better, i don't really want them, just need to get through this bad patch until i can get therapy.
  • Posted

Hi Hun I have left a post on this page which talks about infused waters to help

anxiety please look through I did suffer from anxiety you will deffentely find them useful.. Also exercise is the key to help anxiety I do lots of yoga works a treat hope this helps you any more questions you have I will be happy to help you xx

• Posted

Thanks Jade will look into the infusions. I am limited with exercise as i have mobility problems, i will look into breathing exercises instead.
    • Posted

Excellent honey wish you the best I'm here if you have any more questions xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.