anxiety and my experiences

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello people. I want to talk about my anxiety and see if anyone finds my experiences useful or of any help. I am a 31 year old electrician who has had anxiety since my school days. My parents are both very high strung people and very negative in their ways of thinking. Now a parent myself i realise how hard it is bringing up a family. I guess i can now say that my first experiences with anxiety were at school. I would become flustered about the least little thing, making me panic. I could not engage in conversation with people, didnt see the fun side in anything. At home i was well looked after but i feel i was smothered. For an example, my dad would always come out with things like, you dont wana bother with that, you wont do no good at that, or its not as easy as that.  I wish he was a bit more encouraging by saying go for it son, you can do it. My confidence has never been high either, even now i have wobbles. I have always sort of just pushed the problem of anxiety to the back of my priorities list. Avoided admitting that i had a problem. I would  sit there for ages just thinking about stuff at school, work etc, worrying about worst case scenarios that probably would never happen. Anyway. Work has always pushed my anxiety to its limits and i dreaded going to work. I am very good at my job and enjoy it a lot. But it is sometimes a lot of pressure having responsibility. My partner is great and listens to me and encourages me. She encouraged me to go for a new job and i got the job. Things were great for a while and then i got depression. I went to the doctors and was put onto sertraline. After this i found the drugs to work and my depression slowly went away. My anxiety also improved and this was a huge relief. Not wanting to be on sertraline for years on end i started to research things that could reduce my anxiety symptoms. Things i have adopted are, exercise, eating better, coffee reduction, relaxation and breathing techniques, herbal remedies like green tea. Time to yourself is important. I listen to my music if i need to relax. I guess what im getting at is that the anxiety can be fought. It is hard, but its not impossible. Work is work, thats rule number one. Bosses are more understanding than we like to think. If you run out of time then theres always tommorow. Put your foot down and say to yourself. Ive done all i can do for today. Thats that. I know work isnt always that black and white but your well being is more important. Talking to people about how you feel is one of the best things you can do. Cbt is great if you have the time. If you have anxiety, dont let it rule your life. Fight back and be brave. I hope this helps. I would love to hear from people if they wish. Thankyou.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Reading your post was good. Thanks

Good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel and you can get better with hard work

I have only recently been diagnosed as having anxiety but feel it's actually been with me for a good 3-4 months but was masked by ashtma attacks and severe stress back in the summer. I am struggling a lot with it esp the physical symptoms but I am going to make the steps you have stated above as has been advised to me already to try and help

Glad you are feeling better and have some control x

• Posted

Richard. Completely agree with you on this. What has worked for me is to first analyse the situation and realise there is nothing to panic about. Yoga has helped a great deal as well. 

Besides if it keeps happening, you understand it better and what one needs to realise is that it hasn't killed you yet, you're alive and still functional. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

Live everyday as it comes and to the fullest. The attacks may come, but it should become just another thing in your life, not the only aspect of your life and slowly that will go away too.

Hope this helps smile

• Posted

I have read your messgae with interest and I am so glad to hear that you have found startegies that work for you.

I have had problems also for years however, I have managed on the whole to carry on working and raise two children alone.

The latest episode has come back with avengance and i am trying everything I can to deal with it. Started Yoga today and waiting for CBT.

Thanks for a sense of hope.

• Posted

Thankyou for the replies. This is good i feel, because we can give each other ideas and ways of managing our anxieties.  
  • Posted

My story is pretty much the same. But my question is are you still on the sertraline? I started struggling at 20 went on sertraline at 31 only 50 mg everything changed for the better. Went off at 36 after 5 years. Was fine for two years. Last January a year ago to be exact it all came back smile i dont know if combination of terrible winter driving, daughter was turning 16 etc. so i tried to go back on and got really sick like i couldnt take it tried for a week ended up in emgency room so i said that was my sign that i could do this without the medicine since i managed fine two years without it. I started counseling, relaxation, music, massage therapy, less caffiene, and but still a year later i struggle everyday keeping my self from thinking the worst outcome, worrying about my kids, not being negative (and honestly i have a good life, good job married for 20 years great kids). and i still have panic attacks, ocd, etc. So i did not mean to write a novel i justed wanted to share my story and wondered if you were off the meds? Anxiety is a crazy disease, i have learned many things about my body and i do believe that it teaches us when enough is enough but somedays i wish i could errase it from my mind like i didnt ever know what is was!
    • Posted

I am not sure if you can ever rid yourself of these issues completely but rather learn how to try and manage them better, however, sometimes, too many things happen at once and then this can tend to push one over the top.

I have suffered from OCD and heightened anxiety since childhood and there are times when I have coped well ad times when I haven't.

I a still trying to learn how to live with these issues and have read book after book, tried all sorts of things. It is one long learning process.

I wish you all the best and keep your chin up, take care. Chris

• Posted

I believe your right Christine, the one thing i read once that i practice (Not that its the right thing to do) but i make myself continue to do things no matter how bad i feel like go to movies when i feel panicky, travel with my family when i dont want to leave town etc. and i fake it like im enjoying it then somehow i end up enjoying it. That sounded kinda wierd but thats the only way i can explain it. My latest is i started panicing on the highway about 4 months ago so now i have had to drive with my husband everyday because im afraid to get back on the highway!! So im guessing 75 percent of my problem is fear based anxiety. Yet i have a 16 year old daughter that drives everywhere on a daily basis go figure. Thanks for responding! I wish the best for you also!
    • Posted

Hello and thank you for reply. I am currently 5 days into coming off the tablets. Ive been having brain zaps. Like an electric pulse flowing through my head and body. Ive booked into the doctors next monday. I have tapered down from 100 to 50 mg no problem. But im now feeling a bit rough. Im going to stick it out. My doctors said that i wouldnt even notice with 50mg being a low dose. 
    • Posted

I read alot before i weaned had a few brain zaps but not to bad i took my docs advise and did very slowy so you will not feel effects took me 6 weeks to come off 50 but NO EFFECTS need to cut in half and even when you are down to 12.5 then go every other day for 2 weeks before done. I know it sounds like a long time but worth it. Just wanted to give you my experience.
    • Posted

Also since you just got to 50 stay there for a good week or more like two before cutting in half to 25
    • Posted

How lovely to hear from you.

Do you live in the USA?

Well I am going to tae a leaf out of your book.

I do keep my days as normal as possible. I go out etc and it has never completely taken over my life I cannot let that happen.

Well done you and all my lovexx

• Posted

I sent a reply but it had a link in it so would not go through woops. Yes I am from the USA, but one of my better reads was At Last a Life from Paul David from the UK,  simple book but described me to a T. I also visit his site often but cannot post. Good luck to you all!
    • Posted

HI guys. I just wanted to join in as I am now confronting what I concider the main issues around my anxiety and hope to learn more by talk with others. I read through all our replies and thought maybe my thoughts might either help or allow replies that would help me. I have suffered now for about 22 years. Had times right at the bottom to other times when you dont know what the fuss has all been about. The highs and lows I guess. I have been taking valium to deal with my anxiety but not on a regular basis, only as and when needed. I have just come from the doctors that is going to start me on SSRI's which I hope will help me get away from the valium. not so much that I want to as they work for me but more because doctors have become very shy about prescribing them due to future side effects and the addiction side of them. Anyway I wanted to join a disscusion as I find doing so helpful in a couple of ways. I just want ed to add a couple of my thoughts. Kinggirl I agree with you on many things you have said and also agree with Christine. Anxiety is something most of us will never get rid of but with time we learn what it is to control it and those close to us will understand this. Also I wanted to share something my boss said to me as I talk to him about it as his wife suffers too. We talked about the shame of taking medication to deal with this and he asked me what would happen if I had been prescribed with high blood pressure? I would take a tablet a day to deal with it like so many others do. Anxiety I feel needs to be thought of in the same way. Something that needs to be controlled and therefore there is no shame in the medication taken or problems in dealing with this. Not sure if that holds any relivance but I saw talk about coming off of medication and it was a thought that stuck in my head. Think I have ranted on for long enough now. I hope every day gets easier for you all and am glad to know that I am not as alone as anxiety can make you feel. NIce to meet you all.
    • Posted

duncan,

Hello, nice to read your post. Honestly i have no problems with someone taking meds if they help them. It let me live for 5 years!!! It just got to the point for me that because i was doing good i wanted to get off because i was tired of some of the side effects i had. gained some weight, night sweats, and some sexual side effects if you get my drift. So i went off them. And honestly when i got real bad a year ago the first thing i did is try to go back on them but things did not work out for me. I think i am an individual that is just really sensitive to SSRI so i am trying to learn to deal with them without them. I do have a bottle of xanxa i carry in my purse but have only tooken a half of one in year lol if that tells you anything im obviously afraid of takeing meds. Some people do very well with SSRI's and i did at one time in my life. I just wanted to reply so that you know why i chose to go off them. I wish you the best of luck and even if the one they give you doesnt work it doesnt mean another one wont. And you may come to a time in your life where they just arent for you or you may be on them for ever. Doesnt matter as long as you find what works for you!! Good Luck

• Posted

To all of you.

I have nothing against medication and I agree it is no differnet than medication for any physical problem.

I have never taken anti depressants (SSRIs) until this time but they really do not suit me. 

I am so scared of tablets of any knd.

We will all learn to deal with our personaities and sometimes thats why we are special.

My best regards to you all 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.