Anxiety and my story so far (physical symptoms) in need Advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

First time posting here, would like to share my expierence so far with anxiety.

Reason for reassurance really and hopefuly someone could relate. 

Background 26 year old male, working as a Occupational Therapist, thought of myself as healthy and sporty once before all of this.

My on going physical symptoms started in Dec 2013 after a hard time at work, and has been on going till this day. and has turned in to some sort of health anxiety having obsessive thoughts about my health with a non-stop feeling of being on edge just waiting to see what comes next. 

Tingling Hands and Feet (Lasted 2months)

Numb patchs on body (occasionally)

Body Zaps (occasionally)

Pins and Needles (occasionally)

Tense Headace (lasted 1 month)

Full Body twitching (everyday)

Heart palpitatations 

Muscle tension and pain

From the above symptoms i was given an MRI of head and neck which came back normal. But still continue to question if this is all anxiety related.

During the past three weeks tho i have developed some sort of digestion problem. 

with excessive wind from both ends, constant gargling throughout stomach, tension and discomort and acid reflux with strange fizzing bubbling sounds coming from back of throat.

has anyone else had digestion problems with Anxiety?? these symptoms are a first for me and my Anxiety is going up the wall. 

Thank you for Reading..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I have all these things. When my anxiety picks up my digestion is the first to suffer. Anything from loss of appetite, to bloating, to the runs etc etc. I think its very common for digestion to be affected with anxiety 
    • Posted

Hi Jmcg2014 

Thank you for the quick response, I have read that digestion is affected. But could it really lead to the extend to what I am having, I do no that everyone is affect differently and to different scales. 

Just finding it a-little hard at the moment, it seems like when I get used to a symptom another one arises. 

Thanks again. 

• Posted

Hi Richard. I'm so glad I have found this site.. I suffer so bad with anxiety I'm 23 and just need to know if my symptoms are anxiety. I have for the last 4 days had constant pins and needles in my head and cheek it feels like I have a fan in my cheek really worrying me which makes anxiety worse.. sad x
    • Posted

Anxiety can and does have extreme physical effects, so extreme that its no wonder we move to health anxiety so quickly. It is hard to believe, but as you manage ure root anxiety you will notice these problems lessening too. Its best to deal with the anxiety and not look for ways to get rid of the physical manifestation. As your found out that just leads to a never ending cycle of symptom chasing
  • Posted

Hi Richard

All the symptoms mentioned i get also, with some extras:

Tingling Hands and Feet (Lasted 2months)

I get tingling in my left forearm and hand. It isn't persistent and happEn randomly. I have had blood tests and all was clear.

Numb patchs on body (occasionally)

Again, my left forearm about half way down goes numb now and again for no reason

Body Zaps (occasionally)

If you mean random split second sharp pains then yes. Mostly in the breast muscles

Pins and Needles (occasionally)

This mostly happens when I feel an anxiety attack coming on due to a change in breathing

Tense Headace (lasted 1 month)

This is one of the classic anxiety pains. I found it was normally in the back of my head and top of my neck

Full Body twitching (everyday)

Legs, buttox, breast muscles, arms, cheeks, jaw muscle.... 

Heart palpitatations 

I find this happens when you notice any of the above symptoms. They cause you to think about them too much which in turn makes you panic

Muscle tension and pain

Yes. Ive had these aches and pains for pretty much a year now. Been to my GP and they have told me that these pains are classic anxiety.

I am no expert on anxiety but i hope it can bring some comfort to other people knowing that they are not alone with these horrible issues. 

I hope this has helped in some small way.

Good luck to you buddy

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Yes, I get all of these symptoms with anxiety. My digestion is the first to suffer. I often have vomiting and diahorrea when my anxiety is really bad. My GP said that stress severely affects the suggestions. You make have stress induced IBS, or something like that. Tingling/numbness occurs at the peak of my panic attacks due to hyperventilation, as well as palpitations, tachycardia, sweating, dizziness aches and pains. 

Have you sort treatment for your health anxiety? Your GP can provide a lot of advice to help. smile 

• Posted

Hi Richard...yes just as of late...I have had every organ checked...a barium swallow. ..bloodwork etc...everything came back normal thankfully...some days am so nauseous I can't eat...with upper stomache ache. ..I also get frequent chest and back pains...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.