anxiety and panic attacks!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I suffer from health anxiety previously mentioned in another post. Im constantly worrying something is seriously wrong with me all the time. About 2 months ago i coughed up a tiny bit of blood from bursting a blood vessel this has really scared me and now i think the worst ive had an x ray and that came back clear but i think they have missed something or now i have throat cancer. This worrying sets off a panic attack . All my throat goes tight, im constantly putting my fingers in my mouth to see if im bleeding again. And constantly coughing to try and clear my throat as it feels like there is something there all the time. I m at my witts end. I just want to feel normal again. Im on propanolol and citalopram.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too am suffering with health anxiety and it sucks, i know what you are going through as i am too. How long have you suffered?
    • Posted

Its been since last august. I had a servere Miscarriage and its triggered it from that. Its horrible sad how long have you been suffering?
  • Posted

Hi Vicky, I'm feeling the same I also coughed up blood but it was in some mucus so it didn't worry me too much. I have globus sensation which caused a lump feeling/tightness in my throat. Made worse by acid reflux I think! I also question this thinking its stomach/throat cancer. How old are you and do you smoke? If you don't mind me asking?
    • Posted

Hi amy. Im 30 mine was in mucus too. I google everything so that does t make things better. Im that bad i google it right down to the last symptom. Now ive moved on to that i have throat cancer as they didnt find anything on my x ray. I dont smoke i never have. Nights seem to be the worse. My husband is away with the army. So i spend alot of time on my own with the children. I have been going to CBT but been referred to a level 3 for more advanced therapy

I just want to feel normal. As well theres never anything in my throat just feels like there is so i cough amd check my mouth especially when i have a panic attack its worse.x

• Posted

What did the doctor say about the blood? Mine was when I had a cold. If your worried about your throat ask to be referred to ENT. I google everything to the councillor told me to stop but easier said than done!!
    • Posted

They said it was a burst blood vessel from coughing and straining my throat. I had flu over christmas and another cough and cold 2 weeks after that. Ive not been to bad googling recently but its still there. Thinking i should google just to see whats wrong.

• Posted

How awful for you.....sound a like you've been through the mill. I think you have health anxiety brought on by your dreadful experience....cannot but imagine how frightened you feel. The symptoms that you have suggest to me that you have severe anxiety...I had the same...couldn't swallow....I thought I had mouth cancer....didn't but was sure they'd missed something....please go back to your doctor.....don't suffer....and keep in touch on this site...you get amazing support from people who have been where you are now....best wishes
    • Posted

Hi judith.

Does it ever get better? Ive been to the doctors over them changing my citalopram but she wouldnt as she said i need to speak to IAP. The woman im under. She said it could make me worse at the min. Im trying to do everything possible im having advanced CBT but it doesnt feel like its working at the min. Thank you for your kind wordsx

• Posted

Yes it does get better.....slowly though.....I do meditation now..and found a local group...but what really helped me was a book called Thrive by Rob Kelly....it is expensive but explains why we react as we do...to trauma and stress...and shows us how to stop it....mind....working on it has taken my mind off my illnesses....that I haven't got!!! So that in itself helps....also posting on here is good because you are not alone in your fears....and the being unable to tell anyone is horrible, pretending that you're fine when you just want to crawl in a corner to be safe.....that's grim ....thinking of you...
    • Posted

I will have a look at that thank you. Its just so hard at the min when all i want to do is be the mum i should instead of concentrating and worrying about what i have next wrong with me. Thank you for listening to mex
    • Posted

Please don't beat yourself up over it....you are a lovely person and a brilliant mum....I want you to say that to yourself every time you have an anxious thought....stop the thought Midflow and say...Wow well done me for spotting that...then imagine a brilliant scenario where you are feeling well in the park running and playing

.with the kids........sounds easy...no....but have a go...the more you do it the better you'll be...you've had an awful experience....hang on in!!!! And go back to Docs...make a nuisance of yourself....you are the important one here..precious life...if citralopam not helping...make a fuss...I didn't....what a wimp I was!!!!!! Calm and peace!!!x

• Posted

I've been suffering from health anxiety too, after emergency surgery last August. But in my case, docs don't want me on meds cos they think I'm still too young and that these will mess up my fertility/ hormones etc. I'm only 21 btw).

My dad's a gp and keeps on telling me that nothing is wrong; I;ve started getting really bad mouth and tooth pains which the dentist says is due to TMJ. In fact, the only time I feel normal is when I am on the phone to my mum; this wonderful woman has a knack of making me feel that everything is going to be ok!

• Posted

Aww bless you. Im sure it does get easier. Just doesnt feel like it at the moment. I keep getting told there is nothing wrong too. I believe them for a short while then im back to square one doubting myself.! Xx
    • Posted

Its weird how something can just trigger it off. I hope you get better soon. Wouldnt wish this on anybodyx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.