Anxiety and panic attacks

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the past two days I've been having panic attacks again and they are now specifically at night time , and prior to me getting these attacks I watched scary sci if movies and it raised my heart beat and then my attacks occurred after 1.5 months I couldn't go to sleep last night not until 2am and today also same thing panic attacks to the point where I've rang my husband 5/6 times just to talk to him and see when he's coming home . I've also tried to listen to music to clam down my heart beat but nothing works and I got scared more as the time went by . Kept thinking I'm going to die now etc but did keep telling myself it's not happening it's all fake it's my stupid brain trying to be clever and take control of me and mess me about .. 

Please help aant advice ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if you are being treated for anxiety or not, but if not it might be a good time to start. The options are medication or therapy. Therapy would be useful I think, as your attacks seem to have been triggered. Therapy can help you explore this to limit future attacks.  Medication will not resolve anything for you,but it can for some help with the symptoms.  I would always recommend therapy over medication,  but others would do the opposite. Its just what suits u best
    • Posted

Hi jmcg2014

Can I ask why the attacks have have come back ?????

Also I'm not on any meds , I don't want to I'd rather go for help , my doctors have signed me up for CBT  but it's a 18mth waiting list . 

• Posted

The reasons really are probably complex and often unique, there is no universal answer. A change to lifestyle or source of stress may have been enough. That's a long waiting list, surprisingly long but I guess every area is different.  For me CBT wasn't any use,I asked for CAT as that kind of therapy for me is much better,it allows resolving of past issues,whereas CBT is about avoiding the issues. It does work for many, just not for me
    • Posted

Ummm.... I have past issues (severely bad , marriage, childhood etc ) 

So what is CAT I havnt heard of that , I think that may help me as I'm a very emotional person I still havnt gotten over my past I constantly talk about it to myself and my husband I do his head in with inundated questions like a kid "why why why " I want to stop asking questions of my past stain feeling over it andive in the present but my stupid head duras me back and turns me off andessez with my body thinking etc ... Does all this make sense ? 

• Posted

CAT is cognitive analytical therapy, it's freely available on the nhs. As mentioned it probably is a good idea to ask your doctor to refer you to your local mental health team,they will have a much better idea of what services are available and which is best suited.  A GP really isn't the best option for mental health issues 
    • Posted

Yes it makes sense, and this is why I think therapy would help as opposed to medication. Only therapy will help you find answers,medication never can. For some finding answers isn't important, but for others it's the most important thing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.