Anxiety and sex??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know if anxiety can cause pain during sex? I went to my gyno for pain during sex, both entry pain and deep pain. This is going to be TMI but the pain just started with one position, but now the pain can come in pretty any position but it also doesn't happen every time I have sex..My gyno did a physical exam and did a transvaginal ultrasound and didn't see anything abnormal. I'm going to my gp to get bloodwork and see if maybe something else could be the cause.... but is there any possibility that the cause could be anxiety? The unknown is keeping me up at night. Any advice would be wonderful..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you tense or worked up during intercourse? Have you Googled sex and anxiety? Gee it's been so long since I've had sex due to anxiety/drinking that I can't recall. I'm sure someone will have answers for you. In the meantime try some research on the Internet. Good luck and glad everything was normal from the doctors perspective.

• Posted

I'm not tense but even sex can't turn my mind off of thinking about 1000 different things at once... So I'm wondering if not being able to focus completely on the sex and relax is at least somewhat the cause of the pain. I haven't looked up the connection between sex and anxiety yet but I think I will now

• Posted

I know my mind always wandered during sex. It didn't hurt. But, I wasn't able to focus either. I hope you find what you're looking for and hope you get good feedback.

• Posted

I think it's anxiety. This happens to me too. I tense up when he enters me because I'm afraid it will hurt like I previously did so then it makes it harder to enjoy. It only happens most times and sometimes there's no problem. Maybe try some foreplay to help relax you a bit and keep your mind on him?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.