Anxiety and side effects settling but still have some low moments

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on citalopram for 13weeks.

Currently on 40mg. Anxiety reduced and side effects settling.

I am currently off work so have alot of time to myself. Start feeling a little low mid afternoon for few hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help?

Initially when I felt like this I would take a nap but I don't want to do that again and take a step backwatds.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I am not sure having a nap is a step backwards, I do it but far from every day, it depends how busy I am. If I am busy I just dont remember to rest so I think it is as mush in the mind as real.

I also feel being off work is not good, if you dont like the job you have change it. I can have low times anytime of the day but they usually pass and like you a nap sometimes helps.

I take 40 mg, have fun.

• Posted

Hi Peter.

What's your journey with Citalopram?

I really enjoy my job and am desperate to get back to it. Unfortunately I have had alot of nasty side effects and was unable to do my job. Feeling better from that point of view and think that getting back to work willing help with my recovery.

• Posted

It has been long and bumpy. I now realise I have been sick for many many years, I did not understand it.

I have used about 4-5 different drugs and Selexa is the last one.

My sympoms were:

1) I trusted no one.

2) I could not laugh with people as I thought I would be punnished for being happy.

3) I was jealous

4) Everything was a big deal, health, work, school, family issues. Without my wife (who has died now) I would not have survived.

I still have ups and downs but nothing like before, I mean NOTHING like before.

I hope I help

• Posted

How Zoe

I've been on 15 of Citalopram for nearly 4 months and feel really good and if I want a nap I have one as it's rest. I gave up my full time job as was being bullied and it was all too much for me as I have a 4 year old boy as well. I have applied for part timejobs and have an interview soon and looking forward to going back to work but I keep busy o ho for walks, I do a lot of 500 piece jigsaws which helped me in my early days but I have continued to do them they help relax me maybe try that I also colour in and read but love getting out in the fresh air

• Posted

I was just sating in one of my posts something about feeling anxious later in the day and wondering if it's because I'm still paranoid about the anxiety to the point i make myself feel ill and this seems to always happen later in the day like mid-afternoon!  Anyway I find keeping myself busy helps or going for a nap.  I recently learnt though that this wasnt helping, it wasnt solving the issue.  Basically I was going back to bed because my bed had become a safe zone if that makes sense.

Anyway I figured posting on this group (only started yesterday) would distract me and forcing myself to do some chores or take the wife out (i hate shopping) anyway these things tend to distract me taking dog for walk or even a nice bubbly bath and my phone in bath listening to some music or reading.. who cares if its only 2pm lol.. I love my Baths and I feel alot better after.

• Posted

I have been looking at this site for about 2 weeks now and see so many similar issues with so many people. I am male and 65 and have had this problem I think for all of my life.

I find now that I still have the fears but I can shake them off in a reasonable time sometimes minutes and sometimes hours. The problems do not go away they just seem to be less massive. It is amazing how similar your issues are, the baths, reading, music, naps all help a bit but mostly it is working the issue to realise that I am just being stupid and must stop this, It eventually helps.

I hope I can help you feel better you have already helped me.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Zoe, Sounds like its been pretty tough for you with anxiety it certainly shakes us up a bit !!! 

Naps probably wouldnt be a bad thing espeically if your tired from anxiety symptoms tired muscles etc ? the meds will improve things and I know from when i started on citalopram that i felt foggy at times on some days it was just side effects really they will improve hang in there your doing amazing if anyone knew what we went thru we 'd be surely in line for a medal wink

• Posted

Hi Zoe. Iv been on citalopram for 14 weeks. 4 weeks on 10mg and 10 weeks on 20mg. It took ages for the side effects to settle. Even though they have I'm still quite up and down. Thursday to Monday I was good, in fact great on Monday. Had a bit of anxiety on the Sunday but it settled. Tuesday felt rubbish. Wed and Thursday ok (ish) and today a mess, crying and feeling low, anxious and tense. Is this normal so far in to citalopram?

Feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster, no 2 days are the same, and my mood drops quickly and I just start crying and feeling deflated. Then half an hour later I can feel anxious. X

• Posted

Hi Claire

DITTO. Me too.

I ramped up to 40mg within 12weeks of starting cit which wasn't the best way to do it I was having worse anxiety with all the side effects from dose increases.

I'm on week 5 at 40mg and finally (I hope) side effects are settling so I now need to give it time to see the benefits.

I still have anxiety but it's frequency and intensity is less. My moods from day to day, minute to minute can vary.

Unfortunately, especially after a good day, when's the next days not so great our minds start thanking things are not getting any better and so the spiral begins again.

In my opinion, what you need to do is ask yourself ' Do you feel some improvement than before you started cit? If yes, continue. If no, maybe speak to your Gp again. An increase might help BUT be aware any increase will probably bring side effects again and it will take time.

Hope this helps. Keep chatting. This forum is great for sharing info.

• Posted

Thank you. Yes there is improvement. It's been 11 weeks on 20mg. The only thing is I was on it for 4 years when anxiety came back, instead of increasing I switched to sertraline and had a really bad time. So went back on to citalopram after 5 weeks. Things are better in terms of the extreme physical anxiety but my days are still up and down. My mood is very low the past 4-5 days but can be more relaxed by night time.

Maybe it needs more time to settle and even itself out. It's easy to get stuck in to feeling sorry for myself mode on my low days. I feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster xx

• Posted

Hi Zoe, I have been on Cita since 2015 May I think at first the side effects took forever especially the tremors however I was happy to deal with the side effects as compared to illness way better! I recenty had a busy period, lots of late nights and probably not eating well plus drinking more and I started gettingfatiqued which was what i had prior to starting citalopram (anxiety) wearing me out! so I upped my dosage and have a head ache but i know once it brings the serontonin back up i'll be sweet (there always has to be rational) keep focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel dont slip down the negative trip smile All the best!

• Posted

Thanks stevo

What dose are you on now and for how long?

• Posted

I've been onCIT for 4 days and I feel awful. All my anxiety has become so much worse. I'm nauseous, have insomnia, I'm tired and very scared!!!

I need advice and support!

• Posted

Hi cathy

How much are you on? Do you have a trigger and how long have you been suffering with anxiety?

Citalopram can make you feel this way initially. I have had every side effect going! I wanted to feel better not worse.

Some people feel better straight away, some after a few weeks but to be honest ( by joining this forum) I have realised and accepted that it can take 4- 6 weeks at least to start feeling better. Also realise that after each dose increase you may get side effects and need the same length of time.

If you can persevere hopefully you will get the benefits.

I have been on various doses and am at 40me for 5weeks. Things are improving and even though it is only slight I know it is getting better.

This forum is very good. Keep chatting 😀

• Posted

Im sure the doc said nothing will improve until about 4-6 weeks and the first couple of weeks I experience some wierd feeling. You must hange in there, the fact that you are having some reaction is surely good it shows you system is responding.

I think you must stick to it and see how you are in about 3 weeks. Also talk to your doc again as he or she will reassure you that it is normal.

• Posted

Hi Zoe. Was going to inbox u but there no envelope next to your name so I don't think I can xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.