Anxiety and stress through the roof!!!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all

My gp is at a loss with me. He doesn't know what else to do. He has increased my lexapro to 20mgs and sent me to another cardiologist.

I suffer with chest pain 24/7 and it doesn't let up. It's in the centre of my chest and sometimes it's severe where I think a heart attack is coming or I will just drop dead.

I've had several ecgs and blood tests, last ones being 5 days ago at emergency and all come back normal. I've had a stress test, abdominal scans and chest X-ray, all being normal.

I've seen a cardiologist and he did a ecg and blood pressure but said he's sure it's not my heart. I see a psychiatrist once a week and have had 3 sessions with her. She told me to take magnesium at night so will start that tonight.

Any other suggestions in what anyone else has done for this problem or if they suffer the same??? I'm losing my mind and I just want myself back sad

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety can and does solve these problems. Repeated tests for the same thing all coming back is a classic sign, further tests is a waste of time - your dr should be referring you to a psychotherapist rather than another cardiologist
    • Posted

Hi jmcg2014

I currently see a psychiatrist but that's just talking terms and she has given me meditation cds etc but with my health anxiety right now, I'm in a bubble but will seek your opinion in a psychotherapist smile

• Posted

Indeed psychiatrists deal with pills, that's all they know, Psychotherapy has helped me a million times more than a prescription pad ever has

• Posted

I shall seek someone in your opinion joe. Thank you so much for your feedback
  • Posted

Have you seen a gastroenterologist? Maybe your looking in the wrong direction. Gastro issues can cause pain in the chest area.
    • Posted

Hey lisalisa67

I'm currently waiting to hear back from my referral to see someone about gerd. I do take a pill a day called nexium for reflux but it's not easing anything as to why I'm still suffering my pains.

• Posted

A long time ago i had a horrid burning in chest area. Clearly all heart tests were fine. Hospital could not explain it but i wanted to leave and not stay overnight they were going to run the tests, i chose to do it outside the hospital. Or i would have known sooner. Gastro wasnt sure what it was, he wasnt the best. But i went to another one, a high rated one who ran some tests and sent me to a pulmologist. Oddly, and not common i refluxed and it got my lung. Only i had yeast in my gut ( i didnt know) the yeast grew in my lung. They saw it on a ct scan. They fixed it all up was on some med for it for three weeks. I was so skinny by the time they figured it out. Took six weeks from when it started.

What i learned is pain radiates. And it can seem like it is your heart, but all tests are good but by no means does it mean it ks your heart. A gastro doctor can do an endscooy..a tube they run from your mouth or thru ur nise deoneding..into your gut. It has a little camera and can see. Maybe you have a fungal infection in your esophagus, maybe you dont. But im just saying it doesnt appear to be your heart from what you said and that the tests were all clear.

a gastroenterologist should examine you and make that decisiin.

• Posted

I should probably note i also had just had pnemonia a couple of months earlier and was in some steroid.
    • Posted

Well everything to do with me heart is normal. I'm just willing to try anything and everything to ease my pain and live my life a bit normal, even back to my old self. Have been through a lot in the last 5 months and all these symptoms are new. Thank you Lisa

• Posted

Hello Molly, we are here to help you so take a deep breath and relax. Ok let's start by how long have you been on the Lexapro for and what dose are you taking? Has your psychiatrist put you on any benzodiazepines(Xanax-Klonopin)? What's happening is your are having high Anxiety with depression, and I know exactly how you feel and I did all the test all at one time, I just ended up going to the ER and it was a one time shop, CTSAN-Blood work-etc. I was heathly as can be and they said you have Anxiety and need to seek help. There's more to my adventure with this Anxiety Beast but I got the right help and Meds to control it. 

OK, this is going to sound weird but find a new Dr. ASAP, per your post "He doesn't know what else to do" is not what a DR should be telling you,k they should say we will find out what is wrong with you and get you the right help! 

Now, are you seeing a psychiatrist or a Theripist? Here in the US(Not sure where you live) a Theripist cannot give you meds only a psychiatrist can. If you are seeing a theripist which is a good thing but want professinal help on Med's, go see one ASAP. A GP is not a psychiatrist and you need to see psychiatrist  to evaluate you. Post back if you want!! Good luck. 

• Posted

Think it's probably best to not focus on meds, meds may not even be necessary,but an assessment is best. Don't worry about meds just now, they arent an essential part of treatment, talking treatments are every bit as effective and much safer

• Posted

Just my advice because I have been there and she is already taking an antidepressants and has these issues:

"Anxiety and stress through the roof" "My gp is at a loss with me" "chest X-ray, all being normal" "I've had several ecgs and blood tests all normal"

She already is going to see a psychotherapist and he/she will get her on the right Med's to get some help,talking to a theropist 3 days a week is not helping either, so my advice is the right choice.

Joe

• Posted

Hi joe

I have been on the lexapro 4 weeks now 10mg and he has put me up yesterday to 20mg. I see a psychiatrist and she put me onto another doctor who deals with anxiety plus depression so will be seeing both of them Wednesday.

I'm only on one other medication which is nexium for reflux. My psychiatrist has also recommended me to take magnesium at night to assist with my tension and stress levels.

Just to let a bit of my story run .... lost my father 5 months ago to a heart attack and I was out of the country. 3 months ago my mum passed out with a aneurism on the back of her brain and we are awaiting her surgery.

A bit has gone on in 5 months so I'm all new to the depression, anxiety and emotions that I'm going through.

• Posted

Hey Molly, I have suffered with anxiety for years.. however I was only recently diagnosed..as I thought I was seriously going mad.

I reached our to the IAPT services, and opted for a second but of therapy. I've recently finished my last session, it's early days, but already I feel great. Would you be prepared to explore therapy as an option?

It was scary at first, but I commuted myself to explore with my therapist almost every dark and negative thoughts, fears and worries.

He used visual diagrams to help me understand how my personal brain and subconscious had developed, and demonstrated all of my thoughts, experiences bodily reactions, and brain patterns to show me exactly what was happening and how I could change them. Overx14 weeks I learned so much about myself, and have been able to slowly make changes. For the first time ever.. I feel the awareness of myself has helped me to make better decisions day by day. I really hope that through therapy... and knowing thy self, our thought patterns can be observed by us rather than experienced. IAPT is a free service.. the therapists are all very good, and are very supportive. I hope all of us can improve and get better day by day. I've suffered with this almost my whole life, finally there's a break through. I wish the same for you and others.

• Posted

Hi summer

Oh I'm willing to try anything and everything. I'm going to look further into what therapy you have been through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.