anxiety at work

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my first post for a long time. Im working as an electrician out of town a lot staying away. I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder and take sertraline. I have recently started to get really bad anxiety attacks at work. I cant switch off from work. I cant relax, i keep getting a tightening up feeling at the side of my head. And feel drained all the time. I have decided that i need to get another job and have found a few possibilities all with local work. But im scared that my anxiety is going to mess things up for me. Not a fan of sertraline in the long term and i am getting to a point where im not even sure if its doing anything. I do not want to stay on these drugs and would like to try CBT. But i cant afford time off work to do it. And what will my boss think about this. Will he think i cant do my job if i have this. Someone please give me some advice.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's like this Richard, on the one hand you know you have a problem, and on the other hand you say that you don't think you can't afford the time off to take a course of CBT, and even if you could then what would your boss think.

I had a friend who was a sparkey for years before he retired, and in his case he was self-employed. When his problems started he had to ask himself how if he was ill and needed treatment he could afford the time off work to do something about it, or should he just persevere in the hope that it would get better.

When we were talking about this problem I advised him as I am about to advise you.

You have a job which is a very responsible one. By that I mean that any mistakes could cost lives. So the question is, can you really afford not to do something about it?

If you go to your doctor and talk-over your problem I am fairly certain that your doctor will tell you the same as I am - Your health comes first Richard, because without it you may not be able to do your job at all.

Does that answer your question?

• Posted

As they say, look after youeself first, or as was said to me recently,

When your on a plane, in a emergency, your advised to put your own oxygen mask on first, then look after others.

It's the same principle, here, and most of the folks on here are in the same situation, families, morgage's. 

I'm on meds too, and wonder are they working, but it's likely to be, that they are working, and we feel ourselves again, that we think that.

We cannot just rely on the meds either, counciling, Cbt, and ourself have to do at least half the work also. The fact your able to get up and go to work, is a big positive. If you don't take step's now, that you already know you want and need, it will get harder

• Posted

The thing is because i work away they wont want me to come home for CBT until the end of the week. Its doing my head in.
    • Posted

Is there no way you could do your treatment, nearer to the area where you work? on a week night or work saturday and take mondays off, or a half day maybe. If not then you may consider. confiding in your boss about the situation, he will more than likely understand and give you the time, its in his interest, too.

Dont let finding time to look after yourself become a problem, when it's the solution to your problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.