anxiety at work as a supervisor

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi this is my first post in a long time as I have been doing really well up to now. Im an electrician supervisor at work and have 6 young lads working for me. Im having issues with them standing around on phones and not working. And coming to work drunk. When I confront them I get overwhelmed with anxiety and panic. This is causing me problems when addressing issues with the lads. Once I have confronted them I spend the rest of the day feeling very anxious and wound up. My mood drops and so does my concentration levels. Im hoping someone can give me some tips on how I am best going about confronting the problems on the job and how I can deal with the anxiety better. Im geting desperate now because I need the lads to work hard and I need to make sure I approach it in the right way. Regards

Richard

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard

I have just taken early release from work because of anxiety but I am now convinced it was the wrong decision because I am more stressed now than before.

I have done various power roles in my time for the company I worked for and one of those roles was contract supervision on electrical installation. I had to send 2 guys home f o r being drunk and found it very hard. But in this game it is to dangerous to keep them on. Some one told me once in supervising staff you must have an iron fist in a velvet glove, so let them know who is in charge and any messing about they will be out. There are some good sparks out there who would love to have the opportunity to prove themselves and would not mess you about.

With all regulatory stuff about these days you can't afford have blackheads on site.

Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I know it's easier said than done...but keep emotion out of it. You are the supervisor for the reason of keeping things running safely and effectively. Drunk guys playing on their phones is neither of those. Take a deep breath, talk to each one at a time, in private. No emotion, just facts. If they start emotion with you, take out the emotions and bring back facts only. Keep deep breaths and facts...over and again. That's my advice. They are going to keep pushing more, until YOU take charge. It will get worse if you don't take on your role now! Let me know how it goes.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi his letting you know how I got on. All lads working well after I had a word but one of them who is my charge hand has become dissruptive, disrespectfull, swearing at me, bad attitude, taking the mick, I pulled him up yesterday and he kicked off. I want to get rid of him but the foreman for the main contractors likes him and doesn't. This person is very good at making himself appear good infront of certain people and is very likeable. I will be giving him a chance today to apologize and change his attitude so that we can finish off the week productively. What are your thoughts?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi and thankyou for your replies. I will try what you have suggested and see how it goes. Young people today thow just dint seem to want to graft. ūüėÉ
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi

i could be wrong ask your doc but you can get  adrenalin blocker on prescription which apparently stops the rush you are experinacing, ask your doc about them one is called something like propronolol i think

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi

‚Äčok n/p, i was in the same position ran my own business and had a bad time with a customer and ended up full of anxiety issues and since then i had to close my business , and finish staff, after 3 months doc put me on the blocker and it made a¬†considerable differance ,i will be¬†starting my business back up¬†in jan now, just to¬†make sure im back to normal.hope you sort yourself out, take care

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up