Anxiety attacks, help!?

Posted , 4 users are following.

OK, so I've posted on here about anxiety attacks before however they have started to get more frequent. I'm scared to leave the house and they usually start just before I'm about to leave. Once the attack happens I seem to be okay for the rest of the day. They usually consist of dry heaves / gagging and hyperventillation. But today I had all that and I was actually sick, I'm really worried and don't want this to keep happening. The doctor won't give me any medication because I'm too young and counselling will take forever to arange sad 

Any tips? Please help!

Thanks, Hopexo 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I get these occasionally, I know how it feels it's horrible no one should have to suffer from them, what I do when I feel one coming on I quickly try and distract my mind by getting my phone out and play snooker or go and get indulged in a conversation anything to take your mind off it seems to do the trick with me, as for going out I would take a bottle of water with me, and take regular sips to keep my mouth wet, do it doesn't feel dry, try and think positive smile
    • Posted

Thanks, I try to do this but sometimes it's easier said than done. Are there any remedies or something that can soothe the anxiety? I'm also constantly drinking water and having mints, I guess today was just a bad day sad 
    • Posted

Yeah it really is, I'm not sure about remedies I belive there are 100s but it's the case of if they actually work or not as soon of them are pretty expensive, I haven't tryed anyone myself, but i intend to look into it, how old are you? And why wouldn't the doctor prescribe you medication?
    • Posted

I'm 16 but she said that I was too young, she preffered me to go down the counselling route and everything but I think I need a bit of other help apart from that. Ah well. 
    • Posted

Medication does help but the side effects are awful, medication isn't the way forward, a few friends who suffer with anxiety had counselling and they say it's really helped so don't knock it before U try it, and if u tell your self it won't work then it won't
    • Posted

Yeah thats true, I just wanted to try a small dosage of anti biotics, my mum was on some that weren't bad at all, apparently helped with sickness, dizziness and slight anxiety, I dont think the side effects were too bad. 
    • Posted

The only thing with antibiotics is the more u take them your body gets use to them so when you have something seriously wrong with U and u need antibiotics they won't work, my advice would be try counselling and see how it is, you don't have to go agen if u don't like it
    • Posted

Thanks for your help, I'm waiting for the counselling letter to come through now, I only got referred a few days ago smile 
    • Posted

Your welcome, and that good well I hope it goes well for you, keep your chin up and think positive 😃
  • Posted

You're starting to get more frequent attacks because you are allowing yourself to have them.  It may seem a funny thing to say but it's only YOU who are making yourself feel that way just before you go out.  It's good that you say that once the attack happens you seem to be OK so concentrate on feelling like THAT rather than feeling like you are going to be sick and hyperventilating just before you leave the house.  Ask yourself what it is that makes you feel like that, are you afraid of something, although I'm a fine one to talk because I have the occasional anxiety attack and I can't put my finger on what it is that's making me feel like that.  What I found helped was to lie down and go through what I was going to do (I usually felt anxious at the thought of going on holiday)   I would imagine leaving the house, going to the airport, hanging around until getting on the plane, the flight and then the landing and finally lying on the warm sandy beach and letting the sun shine down on me.  You could imagine yourself getting ready, going to the door and opening it and walking out with your calm feeling that you get after an attack, try that a few times and it might help.  

As for the gagging, I've never had that with an anxiety attack, it's more butterflies in the stomach, but I do get gagging when I clean my teeth, something to do with the toothpaste I think!

Another thing that I found helped greatly and that was to record on my ipad a message to myself telling me how pathetic it was that I was getting anxious at various things and that people half my age were doing important jobs where they were brain surgeons or airline pilots and there was me worried about meeting new people or going somewhere I hadn't been before.  It certainly made me realise that I was ruining the rest of my life because of worry and I am trying to always to think positive thoughts rather than going for the first option of dreading something.  Just a change of attitude by YOU will start you on the road to a happier life.

• Posted

Thank you for your help, I will try doing these things to help calm down. There must be something in the back of my mind triggering it but it's not social anxiety because I'm not worried about meeting new people, it's just the process of getting ready and things! 

I need to take control rather than it controlling me. I get butterflies too, but it gets so bad that it has started to make me feel sick and now..I actually am sad 

Thanks again, Hopexo 

• Posted

Hi, You are only 16, so can understand why the doctor won't give you any medication.  There are over the counter remedies that you could try but I would suggest Bach's Rescue Remedy, it's found in either drops or  spray to put on your tongue and it definitely calms you down. I think they may even have started making capsules now. The good thing is you won't have any problem purchasing it.  If you find you still have problems leaving the house, then you have to ask yourself why that it is.  Is something out there you don't want to face. Do you think something bad is going to happen?  You have to confront whatever it is, you have to confront your fear.  There's also The Samaritans if things get really bad. They'll listen for as long as you want to talk. Good Luck. Keep me posted.
    • Posted

I'm scared of leaving the house because I'm scared of having an attack, it doesn't help that I'm scared of being sick also! I feel like I need to be with someone close to feel more secure. I just don't know how to confront it rolleyes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.