Anxiety back trying to taper off Xanax with Lyricia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here. Just wondering if anyone has ever got off of Xanax compleatly. I've been put on Lyricia to help with this but my anxiety seems to be worse in the last few days only started decreasing Xanax by .25mg a day and started 25mg of Lyricia Friday. Not sure if it's the new tab or just cutting down the Xanax. I've been on Xanax for over 15 years different doses I'm on .5mg 3times a day have just cut that by .25mg a day. Wondering if anyone ever got off these tablets. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

be very careful with pregabalin/lyrica, I only took 28x25mg capsules over 21 days,  and I am addicted to it, I have just about  every side effect  listed, plus lots not listed,  from day one I knew from the first cap that I didnt want to take it because side effects were instant, but the attitude was "take it or else"  I have been trying to withdraw it since july. I feel very ill and it has chaged me completely, I am alter ego, I am like drunk andy pandy,  my legs are weak,wobbly, I stagger like a drunk, I am using liquid with a syringe to cut down with a smaller dose, but even this is hit and miss, today has been awful, as are most days,  I have pain in belly,like a hot sensation, someone pulling and squeezing,  I just want it all to be over..  some will say it's ok for them, but for me it has made me very ill, pain , which I didn't have before is excruciating, not relieved by the medication, if in any doubt about whether to use it , could you cope with what I have just described ? . take care, bye,rosie.
    • Posted

Thanks for taking time to reply. I find it hard enough to carry on the way I am for the last few days Idon't want to become addicted to this as well they sound awful. I thought the would help as I reduced my dosage of Xanax which I've been on for more than 15 yrs. I want to get off them as they are not doing anything for me but I know I can't go cold tukey it's too dangerous. I've loads of different meds tried over the years for anxiety,panic,agoraphobia PTSD and depression. I'm in therapy and attend a support group once a week. Doc wanted me to try seroquil (you heard of it?)a few months ago I didn't even try them. Just don't know what to do anymore the anxiety is high at the moment it seems to be there all day until i finally get to sleep.will go to doc again tomorrow see what he says.I hope you withdraw from it safely and you feel better soon best of luck and thanks for your advice.
  • Posted

Don`t cut back by so mush in a week. These things take time. Cut back by 25mg a month or less. These drugs are very powerful and stopping so quick can be dangerous !. I know I`ve tried it and it was a disaster . Only cut back by a little and see how that goes , if ok reduce by a little more. Must be done in stages ok :-)
    • Posted

Hi david60485, thanks for advice pity i hadn't come accross this forum earlier. I did try coming off xanax myself because i felt i had been on them too long and they not doing anything for me, but i cut down too much first the withdrawls were awful. So doc tapering them as you've said. Got the other tabs thought they'd help but they only made things worse for me. Didn't take the Lyrica last night and i feel a little better this morn. Are you off yours now? How are you doing? Thank for reply. Take care
  • Posted

Hi crazyfrog I was on xanax in the 1990's and came off it as easily as I went on it no prep no messing about with 1/2 measures one day I was taking it the next not the reason mainly being is that xanax is a benzo drug and dependant on how long you took it decides on your ability to drive a car say.  One thing that grabs my curiosity is Xanax still a private drug as it was in my days?
    • Posted

Hi Peter. I was prescribed xanax in the 90s too and have been on higher doses up to 2mg 3 times a day. I wasn't driving at the time so I didn't have that worry. For years after I had trials of ADs none of which suited me. I am very wary of taking them since one lot made me sucidial. Xanax is still being prescribed but from what I've being reading it is only given for short periods. I'm on it over 15 years (it helped at first) and all I have now is an addiction to it. Not in a way that I want more it's my body doesn't want me to have less. The withdrawl is as bad as the anxiety Ifirst started with. The question that runs around in my mind is why was I left on it so long?? Thanks for your reply. Hope you are doing well.
    • Posted

Yes some of the more newer AD can and does make you suicidal Paroxetene to name but one infamous one the number of suicides I have seen in my social worker days were centered around the use and abuse of this SSRI so I would advise stay clear if you can Mirtazipine is an ideal alternative and a good night time one as it aids sleep as well.  Sometimes we are on a drug that long that we instinctivly know it is doing us some good wether psycological or physiological all we know and feel is the benefits of the drug.  You sound as if you are going through rebound anxiety something which happens when you have been on the drug for as long as you have what the doctor should have done is switch you over to valium and from there carefully wean you off it.  Stay happy and keep an interst in life.rolleyes
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, I find my anxiety has got worse need to go back and see doc. I don't think the Xanax is working for me but i don't want to up this I want to get off it. I've had so many ADs over the years I don't want to go that route either I'm afraid to take them as I had very bad results from prozac and seroxat. Not going back there. Ever heard of seroquil been used for anxiety? was given it but afraid to take it.
  • Posted

I was on Seroxat which I believe is now banned. It made me have bed mood swings and I did here of suicides related to it. I`m now on Sertraline ( Zoloft ) which is a far better drug for me. Its difficult to know which one suits, I have been on quite a few ADs drugs over the years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.