Anxiety causes sadness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't want to call it depression, because I do not want to kill my self and would never attempt it. But I am so sad, and will just randomly start crying for no reason, it's weird and i notice it is usually when anxiety is extremely high. I live my life around trying not to have panic attacks. So avoidance of certain things. But little things affect mood too.. if I'm listening to a sad song, I will cry and feel sad the entire day, if someone ignores me I focus on that the entire day, but the moment the acknowledge me it's like it never happened. It's weird and I'm afraid to talk to therapist about it, because I don't want any diagnosis that could possibly affect my career in the future. Any ideas though?

Am I randomly crying because I'm anxious?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nicole! Yes, anxiety can make you feel sad and like crying sometimes. I have days when I feel so lonely and sad that any emotional song, movie or video would make me cry. Having to live with anxiety can be overwhelming and frustrating sometimes and I believe that's the reason for our bad moods.

• Posted

Hey there!

First of all I'd like to point out that having depression does NOT necessarily mean that you want to kill yourself.

Secondly, usually anxiety goes hand in hand with depression cause your anxiety causes depression. 

And yes,when you're anxious, your body has to find ways to let go of all this pressure building up and there's no better way than crying. I live my life like that too and I think it's sad and it makes me depressed. 

You should care about YOU above all. You go to a therapist, you pour your soul out. It's gonna take time until you create a good bond with your therapist. Try psychotherapy. I think it's the bestas it goes waay back. You should be worried about your career only if you leave yourself helpless. It's no shame seeing a therapist and it won't, in any way, affect your career.

• Posted

It's difficult to tell sometimes. I find, what is anxiety and what is depression. However you label it doesn't really matter. Some days I am more anxious and some more sad and depressed. Crying does seem to relieve the pressure of anxiety but as a man I have had to learn to let myself cry without being too judgmental. I feel sad and criticise myself for being anxious and not being able to face it or deal with it successfully. I suppose really if I'm honest I just want it to go away when all the professional advice is to accept and befriend it. I then judge mtself for not being able to do this and then feel depressed. I just want to be happy again and be like other people. I dont really want to be myself and that makes me sad too. Hey ho, the struggling goes on and I just want to stop struggling!

In answer to your post, there is no danger to your career in talking to a therapist. Everything you say is confidential. Go to a therapist privately if you can afford it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.