anxiety causing muscles to stiffen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else have this  problem. My anxiety is making my calf muscles stiffen I have no control over this . I have been stuggling with anxiety for 3 years it started slowly and has progressed to this I am afraid I am becoming agoraphobic as it happens  when i go out.Anyone have any ideas? this is really disrupting my life.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes sweetie, It happens to me. What I try to do is place my hands on the arms of my chair with my feet flat on the floor. I take in deep breaths and count from one two ten and back again. This helps me to focus and relax my muscles. If it happens while you are out, you could try to lean against a wall, with your hands flat against it and try the same thing.x
    • Posted

I have tried tapping it is based on acupucture it does actually work but not for the muscle problem you might try it. You tube has many videos on how to do it.I know it sounds all new age but it can't hurt and it might help
  • Posted

I totally know what you're going through Carol,

I have suffered from stiffening of the legs/calves each time i get a panic attack and it does indeed prevent me from going out sometimes.

I think it's just par for the course when it comes to anxiety attacks unfortunately.

It might be a good idea to see your GP and see if they can give you something to calm your nerves down - could be Valium or Propanonal.

Let us know how you get on.

Zoe x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply this has been building for three years it happened before, 7 years ago, T I have nny ssri because of side effects. No one told me this would come back,Should have known.I have ativan but only use it if I go out and try not to use it
  • Posted

Hi Carol.  Unfortunately this kind of side effect is too common.  A large number of those who suffer from debilitating anxiety go on to develop fibromyalgia.  The body reacts to stress in so many different ways, pain and muscle issues being part of it.  The best cure is relaxation but that is the heart of the problem, if we could relax properly we wouldnt be anxious in the first place.  Please do look into meditation - there are non spiritual meditation classes which focus on unblocking energy channels and calming techniques, which are truly excellent for symptoms like this.  I have OA and fibromyalgia and my anxiety makes both much worse.  After a meditation class my pain levels drop dramatically and I can almost function normally (until my boss causes my anxiety levels to rocket again!).  Good luck hon. x
    • Posted

I have PMR am going to the rhuemy this week for confirmation my GP put me on 10 mg of pred the symptoms have disapeared but the pred is making my anxiety worse but  I can't quit taking it
    • Posted

I have looked into meditation, also tapping seems to help.
  • Posted

I take propanalol & it really does work. Try some stretching excercises for the calf muscles & make sure you drink lots of water, as dehydration will affect the function of the calf muscles. 

• Posted

good advice re hydration lee - very important to keep fluid levels sufficent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.